Suunto Eon Core

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wlecyt40

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I need to know if this has happened to anyone with this computer. We purchased this computer because my wife wanted one that would be easier to see underwater. She was having issues with the Scubapro Lunas we currently own being able to see the screen when we used nitrox. When we bought them, we were informed that they had 19 hours of battery life fully charged. After we dove with them a couple of times and took them to Roatan (where they both failed on dives), we downloaded the new software we were told they needed. After that, we can only get to fourteen hours fully charged. Suunto says that doesn't sound right. My question is this: has this happened to others? Should I switch back to my Luna or send the Eon Core in for repair/replacement of the battery?

Both of our Eon Cores failed in Roatan. Hers on the surface, aborting a dive. Mine at 75 feet, aborting the rest of the dive.

I don't have the core but the steel black and have no issues, however after the last upgrade to buhlman also it went kaput and it was sent back and they replaced with new.
I would definitely contact suunto, give them some severe grief and ask for replacement since they are under warranty.

I have a brand new Eon Core waiting to be dived. When I first connected it asked me to update and it did with no issues. Battery remaining is at 19h with the latest firmware. Maybe some issue with yours.

Unfortunately my dive trip that was planned this Sunday got cancelled so the Sunnto will have to wait another few weeks for its first sip of water…

So, I figured out the issue. If you turn the brightness to high, it reacts accordingly and will reduce the amount of the available battery charge. Basically, if you set to HIGH brightness, 14hours, default or medium, 19hrs and low gives you 27hrs. I spoke to the service manager/general manager of the dive shop we bought them from and he told me that was most likely the issue. It was.

I will carry that in my back pocket form now on!

So, I figured out the issue. If you turn the brightness to high, it reacts accordingly and will reduce the amount of the available battery charge. Basically, if you set to HIGH brightness, 14hours, default or medium, 19hrs and low gives you 27hrs. I spoke to the service manager/general manager of the dive shop we bought them from and he told me that was most likely the issue. It was.

I will carry that in my back pocket form now on!
I was just going to post and ask about the settings. LOL! I keep my settings low because it's easy to see in the water, but having brightness, etc. high will change the estimated battery life time. When you say the Eon Core "failed" in Roatan, what do you mean by that? We have had to take measures to avoid a safety stop lockout before, but I've never had the Core "fail" on me. Curious what that was..... BTW, NEVER start a dive with less than 2 hours of battery life left on the Core. It will lock you out. Apparently that's a safety feature to prevent you from diving without enough battery time left and having a power failure on the dive. I took mine into the pool one night with less than 2 hours of battery life because I wanted to show the students different types of computers, etc. and it locked me out. Max depth?.....9 feet. And no, charging it did not release the 48 hour lockout. I had to wait.

I don't have the core but the steel black and have no issues, however after the last upgrade to buhlman also it went kaput and it was sent back and they replaced with new.
I would definitely contact suunto, give them some severe grief and ask for replacement since they are under warranty.
We sent in two eon steels to have their buhlman upgrade done. When we got them back one was fine and the other had a system error message. I took it to LDS and they sent it back to Suunto. We are waiting on their response. I wonder what the failure rate is for the Buhlman upgrade is.

I was just going to post and ask about the settings. LOL! I keep my settings low because it's easy to see in the water, but having brightness, etc. high will change the estimated battery life time.
Good the answer was found and so simple! So the Eon Core is very easy to read at the Lowest brightness setting? Still waiting to dive with it.. sigh!

When I use it in bright daylight, high is necessary, but the low would be good for night diving. I looked at the screen in the dark and on high, WAAAAY too bright. Just nice to have a resource that is well versed in the Eon Core.

Good the answer was found and so simple! So the Eon Core is very easy to read at the Lowest brightness setting? Still waiting to dive with it.. sigh!
Yeah, I find that it's easy to read in the water. There is a personal preference component to that, but my wife and I have both of ours set lower. I did arrange my display to show air pressure, etc. in the larger font position because it would get hard to see once it went into the yellow, or low warning mode, and then red. For me, I dive the same brightness in the daytime and at night. Keep in mind that is also under Caribbean water conditions with sunshine. The darker the water, the easier it is to see, of course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom