Suunto Mosquito as bottom timer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bismark

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the "free dive" mode in a suunto mosquito should work the same as "gauge mode" in other suunto products like the vytec or D-6? I am wanting to use a mosquito as a back up bottom timer and when I set it in free dive mode it starts out okay but after a while it shows at "Er" on the primary display. I tried two different mosquitos and they both did the same thing so I don't think it is a glitch in the equipment.

No. After 5 minutes(I think), it'll start beeping to let you know that you're dead.

free dive on the mosquito is for just that free diving as in breath holding not guage mode.

great, thanks, I just downloaded it and found the reference to no free dives past 5 minutes or so. Not going to make much of a bottom timer:)

No, I had to use my Mosquito in computer mode to get it to continue to display.

The Vytec has a gauge mode, and bigger numbers to boot, but it's more expensive.

TSandM:
No, I had to use my Mosquito in computer mode to get it to continue to display.

The Vytec has a gauge mode, and bigger numbers to boot, but it's more expensive.

The VYPER has gauge mode and at least outside the USA is the same price or cheaper than a Mosquito and a lot less than a VYTEC.

I have the vytec which I use as a primary bt timer in gauge mode but I was hoping my mosquito would work in freedive mode as a backup bottom timer. I want something small like a mosquito on my left wrist (by my compass) that doesn't take up the same amount of space as my Vytec. Might have to get a D-3.

Why use a computer (even a backup) as a bottom timer/gauge mode rather than as a backup computer? Could someone simply describe what guage mode is? I think I'm missing something.

Back
Top Bottom