suunto vs. cochran

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ellliot

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a computer. (after 5 yrs. of the wheel and bottom timer).........LDS carries Suunto and Cochran.......What are your opinions on these......Does anyone use Cochran computers??

i use a cochran gemini which is a model just one generation older then the current gemeni (which has a intelligent wrist unit option)

personally i love the cochran because i can get a whole lot of data i get off of it, but even though i have it i still calculate my presure groups with the tables or wheel.

one real good advantage of the gemini is that if the black box(transmitter) fails or looses communication with the wrist unit you still will have you dive inforamtion minus the air pressure from you cylinder.

i would suggest you go read cochran's website for a lot more information on the gemini (features, options etc ?)

if you have anymore questions feel free to ask

Dan

I dive a Suunto Vytec, and my regular buddy has a recent Cochran (unsure of which model). All I know is that his computer is a *lot* less conservative than the Suunto - we've had 15 minutes difference in NDLs before, with pretty much close to identical profiles on the previous dive.

He seems to have gone through a few software upgrades with his... adding features etc. The Vytec comes pretty much as feature packed as you would want a recreational computer. There is no nitrogen loading bar though.

scubaroo

this would be to that the two computers use seperate models for there calculations. plus the other thing is that the cochran has a user adjustable conservatism, i believe the suunto doesnt

Suunto's have adjustable conservatism.

My impression is that Cochran's are a bit on the pricey side, like $600 for a single mix nitrox computer. What kind of deals is this LDS giving? If they are good, who are they?

Scubatooth once bubbled...
scubaroo

this would be to that the two computers use seperate models for there calculations. plus the other thing is that the cochran has a user adjustable conservatism, i believe the suunto doesnt
Suunto does have user adjustable conservatism in the Vytec, and mine's set to "bend me" :D Actually it's just a toggle of a single RGBM variable.

leadweight once bubbled...
Suunto's have adjustable conservatism.

My impression is that Cochran's are a bit on the pricey side, like $600 for a single mix nitrox computer. What kind of deals is this LDS giving? If they are good, who are they?

would that be for the gemini or the commander ?

cochrans do cost more but thats because the feature set and all of the technology thatr goes into them, plus there made in the USA and were deigned and built by the same person who invented the microchip and calculator.

okkkkkkkkkk............ quick test....... who invented the calculator..... ?

caveman once bubbled...
okkkkkkkkkk............ quick test....... who invented the calculator..... ?

well through the technology and devolpment of the microchip by mike cochran inabled them to further devolp the calculator so it was mike cochran and others in his group at TI. BTW Mike is the one who has the patent on the microchip so every electropnic device that is around now on a chip we owe a debt of gratitude to mike

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom