Suunto Vyper Air and new/old air transmitters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NavarroOne

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm thinking to buy a secondhand Vyper Air and transmitter. In this regard, a few questions:

When was the Vyper Air introduced?

Are there differences between early Vyper Airs and brand new ones?

When was the original air transmitter introduced?

When was the new LED transmitter introduced?

I heard that it used to be that you had to make a connection every time you mounted the first-stage on a fresh tank; let's call this an ad-hoc connection.

I then heard that with modern Suunto's you make a connection once and for all; until you need to change batteries every couple of years; let's call this a permanent connection.

Assuming it is correct, that there are ad-hoc and permanent connections, was the new permanent connection a result of new dive computers or the new LED transmitter?

Additionally:

Can you pair an early version Vyper Air with a brand new LED transmitter and if yes; will this give you a permanent connection?

Can you pair a brand new Vyper Air with an old original air transmitter and if yes, will this result in an ad-hoc connection or a permanent connection.

I hope to hear from some experienced divers who have played with both old and new Vyper Airs and transmitters and I hope the discussion will not devolve into a debate over the relative merits of Suunto vs other brands or whether wireless air transmitters in general are a good idea with or without an SPG.....

Thanks and eagerly awaiting replies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The old transmitter, which I have on a Vytec (circa 2003), produces a random code every time it is pressurized. The Vytec searches for the code when it goes into "on" mode. On a new Suunto computer it expects that new model transmitter to have the same code every time, so my 2014 Vyper air doesn't search for the transmitter, it just looks for it using the code it should have. You can force it to search for the transmitter by dropping into the configuration and resetting the code.

So yes, you can use the old transmitter with a new computer, but it will require you to reset it each time. There doesn't seem to be a way to tell it to act like the older computers. It's kind of annoying, but it works.

I don't know how a new transmitter works with an old computer. I would suspect it would work, but I really don't know. I would suggest getting someone to demo it. You will need to have a reasonable full scuba tank (though a little pony would work) as the transmitter is activated by being pressurized.

I'm thinking to buy a secondhand Vyper Air and transmitter. In this regard, a few questions:

When was the Vyper Air introduced?

When was the original air transmitter introduced?

When was the new LED transmitter introduced?

I heard that it used to be that you had to make a connection every time you mounted the first-stage on a fresh tank; let's call this an ad-hoc connection.

I then heard that with modern Suunto's you make a connection once and for all; until you need to change batteries every couple of years; let's call this a permanent connection.

Assuming it is correct, that there are ad-hoc and permanent connections, was the new permanent connection a result of new dive computers or the new LED transmitter?

Additionally:

Can you pair an early version Vyper Air with a brand new LED transmitter and if yes; will this give you a permanent connection?

Can you pair a brand new Vyper Air with an old original air transmitter and if yes, will this result in an ad-hoc connection or a permanent connection.

I hope to hear from some experienced divers who have played with both old and new Vyper Airs and transmitters and I hope the discussion will not devolve into a debate over the relative merits of Suunto vs other brands or whether wireless air transmitters in general are a good idea with or without an SPG.....

Thanks and eagerly awaiting replies

Ask Suunto I'm sure they will be more than happy to help.

I'm thinking to buy a secondhand Vyper Air and transmitter.

well, according to the Suunto guy on this thread, there seems to be an improvement of Suunto pressure sensor design after 2012 to avoid pressure sensor failures. So maybe that's one thing to consider when buying a second hand Vyper Air

I just bought a used but pristine Vyper Air with the gen. 1 transmitter. Also separately bought the gen. 2 transmitter so will test it out once it arrives and let you all know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom