Suunto - Vytec...anyone using one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ciara

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all!

hubby and I are currently searching for dive computers and are tempted to buy a couple of Suunto Vytec(s). I was wondering if anyone else has one, what made you decide to buy it, and how do you find it?

Any info greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Ciara

:bounce:

Hi Ciara,

I've got a Vytec with the wireless option. So far I think it's a great computer - I've done about 10 dives on it. The air integration feature is great, and I haven't seen any interference from either camera strobes (Ikelite) or HID lights (Halcyon), while using them in conjunction. The display is easy to read, and an added benefit for me is the user changeable units - I can dive in PSI/feet like my buddies in the USA, but then switch units and review my dives in BAR/metres if I choose to (and vice versa). I haven't used the gas switching capabilities yet, but that was one of the reasons I bought it. Originally I was looking for a nitrox computer that could be used in gauge mode as well for future technical diving, which was leading me to the Vyper, but the Vytec was available with the air integration.

I wanted to replace the strap with a bungee strap, but so far have found the watch style strap with a buckle to be sturdy, and reasonably depth compensating. I might end up replacing it with a Waterborne strap one day, to reduce the risk of losing the computer from my wrist.

Overall I'm glad I bought it. The only setback is the cost if you buy the optional transmitter, which almost doubles the cost of the computer. If you don't want air integration, and don't want gas switching capability (eg. using EAN50 for deco after diving EAN32, etc), the Vyper may be an economical alternative.

Simply Scuba in the UK had the best price I could find at time of purchase, although DiveInn now carry Vytecs. VAT may be an issue for you if purchasing online, as to whether or not it is included in the online price.

Ben

Hi Ben -

thanks for the feedback - hubby & I are both gadget-mad, so we will be purchasing the transmitters :) I will definitely look up Simply Scuba. We did get a price on them in the USA recently - $1190 each (about £750). I have no idea how this compares to UK stores.....

Was also wondering what reg you use? We are looking at the Apeks ATX200 with the Apeks T20 octo - this has been recommended to us by several different dive stores. We are relatively new to this whole thing, and it is difficult to know where to start!

Ciara

:bounce:

I personally like Apeks regs. I'm currently using Apeks DST/TX50 with TX40 backup. I'm kicking around the idea of buying a pair of ATX200s for doubles. I'm not sure about using the T20 for a backup/octopus in UK waters - it is a warm water regulator. The only difference between it and the TX40 is an additional heat exchanger. The coldest water I've dived in is 51F (about 11C), with air temperature above freezing, and I've never heard of regs freezing in this water. How does that compare to where you will be planning to dive? You might want to ask at the shop where you are planning to purchase from. The T20 might actually be fine for those conditions.

There is a replacement model to the T20 - it is called the AT20. I think they're identical apart from the faceplate, and the AT20 has a smaller exhaust (making for a smaller regulator), but does not disperse bubbles as well as the older T20. But that's only hearsay coming from me, I haven't dived the AT/ATX series of regulators yet.

good luck,

Ben

Me and Marian use the Vytec with an Apeks ATX200 with ATX40 octo. We both enjoy them, and I have the same thoughts about it as bengiddins. I bought ours from our LDS, just because we were able to get a great deal from him (about $200 over on-line price).
Jimmy

I recently bought the Vytec minus the transmitter. I bought it for the following reasons:

-Gas Switching
-Advanced version of the reliable Vyper
-WRIST MOUNT!!! (Makes dive-monitoring easier than consoles)
-Guage mode complete with stop watch.
-Optional RGBM attenuation. Will experiment with this...
-Excellent PC logging.
-Depth/Time Alarms.
-Auto safety stop count down.
-Easy menus. Easy operation over and underwater.
-Option to go AI. I would never replace my SPG with it though.
-REPLACEABLE SCRATCH GUARDS! I hate scratched computers.

There are two negative points to it, but were pre-purchase sacrifices on my part. First is the all-too-famous Suunto problem: It's conservative, at times ridiculously conservative. I dove with it next to my old computer for a week, and the NDL's at times differ greatly. Two things on the conservative Vytec. 1) Conservative isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's safer. 2) RGBM attenuation mode may allieviate some of this, although I'm not ready to try it. Interestingly enough, once I retired my old computer and dove the Vytec by itself I don't notice its conservative nature. The other problem is that it's not Bikini-Approved, but no big deal, when I go I'll just rent a Nitek and dive the Vytec with it.... then compare results.

Apeks ATX200

I bought this with an ATX40 octo. It certainly is nice, breathes well, fully adjustable yada yada yada. Sometimes I test the ATX40 and breathe on it for a while. It breathes so well that I think, "I should have just bought two of these." I've noticed that I use more air on these Apeks regs than I did on my Oceanic Zeta. I find that a bit odd.

I recently bought the vytek. I have used it on about five dives.
it has just been recalled so i had to give it back to the LDS.

I bought it as a hoseless air integrated computer that would allow gas switches.

I also will use it as a metric depth gauge, for some specilaized dives i do. since i don't think in metric all other computers will stay in feet.

I understand thgat it will provide a sac rate as well, but i havn't seen that yet.

I do have a little problem, it does not have a USB connector so i can't use it on my laptop. so i am trying to sort that out.

also, if it measures your sac rate what about when you switch to a gas that does not have a transmitter, anybody have some experience with this.

how about depth, anybody using this deeper than 250 feet.

one thing i did with the transmitter is i installed it on a 6 inch whip on my 1st stage so that it does not hit something and break off. i then taped it to one of the other hoses so as not to flope around.

just some random thoughts on it

MuddyFox once bubbled...
The other problem is that it's not Bikini-Approved, but no big deal, when I go I'll just rent a Nitek and dive the Vytec with it....

tell me more about thius Bikin aproval thing, where ar eall these restrictions coming from and why

I have a VYTEK. For all the reasons listed above.

My primary reason for the purchase was wrist mount with wirless option. I still wear an analog SPG.

I like having the digital readout on tank pressure and dive timing on my wrist.

My reasoning for the Vytek was my future plans for "gas switching" in DECO diving. So, if I was buying a computer now, why not buy it with that in mind. Buy it without the wireless option and add that later if you want.

--dawg

AquaTec once bubbled...
one thing i did with the transmitter is i installed it on a 6 inch whip on my 1st stage so that it does not hit something and break off. i then taped it to one of the other hoses so as not to flope around.

I thought about that and I think the idea was shot down in flames on ScubaBoard. But the more I handle the first stage with the transmitter rigidly attached, the more I'm thinking about moving it to a 6" hose.

Back
Top Bottom