Suunto Vytec DS v. Oceanic VT3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3-Ring Octopus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey boys and girls...

The thread title says it all. It's time to upgrade from the Suunto Cobra (I've fallen in love with wireless...*sigh* :wink: ) and I've narrowed it down to the two computers listed in the thread title. (Suunto Vytec DS and Oceanic VT3) I know/trust the Suunto computers, but the Oceanic seems to have the same functions (if not more) than the Suunto (and a more liberal algorithm to boot!) for a significantly lower price tag. For those who have the Oceanic/Aeris wireless computers, what is the reliability like? (except for the recalled models, of course...) Is the interface intuitive? General thoughts on both.

Cheers,
Austin

I'm a new diver and I haven't used a Suunto Vytec. I have been using the VT3 for about 5 dives and really like it. The deal breaker for me was the fact that the VT3 has a freedive mode--and I really like to free dive. I considered getting a Mosquito but I felt it was worth it to get a computer with the advanced options the VT3 also had. I looked at the Vytec but I wasn't too interested (especially considering the price) with out the free dive feature.

As for the VT3: The wireless sync worked instantly; as soon as a turned my tank on it registered on the computer and has never lost a signal on any of my dives ( I still kept my SPG but now I'm thinking about removing it). The navigation is straight forward and very simple; alarms and other settings are very easy to access. I look at tables before dives and set my alarms before each dive depending on how deep I want to go; how long I want to go etc. I can not comment on reliability as I have only had it for a short while.

The big difference if you're into decompression diving (with which I have no experience with) is that the Vytec has deep stops built into it's algorithm while the VT3 does not (although I think the VT3 gives you credit for stops below the ceilling at a rate depending on how far below the ceiling you are--I'm not to sure). Hopefully some of the more experienced people here will comment.

Ive tried suuntos and like them and tried oceanic kit and hated it so personal choice really.

Deep stops are a very good idea and if i needed to buy a new computer now i'd get one with deep stops in. Note this isnt only for decompression diving - they're useful for normal diving too.

Not sure if oceanic has a gauge mode.

Suunto also has good PC download support via dive manager v1.

the VT3 does have gauge mode, and is based on a different algorithm which provides for longer NDLs in almost every scenario than the Suunto, giving you longer run time without (in my personal experience) unacceptably increasing your risk. Oceanic also has pretty sweet customer service and I've seen a lot resolved from the reps from ScubaBoard alone.

In about 70 dives w/ the VT3 I've only had it lose wireless transmission once for about 2 seconds, and I didn't notice it on the dive. It was only till I later downloaded the dive to the OceanLog software that the log informed me there was a brieff loss of connectivity.

Not sure about the Vytec, but I can also set sampling rate on the VT3 to every 2 seconds, which I believe my Cobra was only every 10 (if I remember). I just prefer this to give me more accurate info once I download the log.

HELLO OCTPUS,
Ive been diving with the VT3 for about 50 dives and have found no problem with the computer its self... my bigest complaint is with the oceanlog software. BUT... oceanic has been working to get rid of the bugs so i do have to give them kudos for listening to there customers.. otherwise i love the PDC.. you i have never lost signal underwater and its preformed flawlessly from day one. Its easy to read and easy to navigate through. has a free dive mode which i like and can monitor nitrox or custom blend gasses.. over all it get my 2 thumbs up.. I too was looking at the vytec comp it was a hard choice. It came down to my expericence with oceanic and i got it at a good price. I am very happy with it

Well, if you are used to the Cobra, don't expect the Vytec to be familiar. I have a Vytec DS and the wife has a Cobra2, and it took me forever to figure out her comp, while the DS took a few minutes. The only thing with the wireless on there is that when you turn on your air, your computer should be on and near the transmitter so they can handshake. If you do that and then wait 20 minutes to dive, you gotta do it again. I kept my analog SPG as a precaution, since the rest of the dive computer features will work, even if it is not getting an air signal.

Do you find that the Cobra limits your dive times? If not, I am not sure a more liberal algorithm is an advantage, or if you have increased risk factors for DCS. If you download to a PC, and already are used to the Suunto software and have your log established, that might be an advantage to maintain your log continuity.

I have about 80 dives on a Vytec and so far not a single issue. I really like the Dive Manager software with all the options it has where you can add all sorts of details to a dive. Downloading the dives to a laptop is simplicity itself. I've never lost a transmission so far. The Vytec has a deep stop algorithm, and handles 3 different mixes from 21% to 99%. It's easy to read as well.

The only downside I can think of is that the menu scrolling takes a bit to get used to. Other than that I'd certainly buy another one...

jchull:
Well, if you are used to the Cobra, don't expect the Vytec to be familiar. I have a Vytec DS and the wife has a Cobra2, and it took me forever to figure out her comp, while the DS took a few minutes.

Clarification: There is very little difference in the interface between the Vytec, Vyper and Cobra. The D6, D9, Cobra2, and Vyper2 have similar interfaces. The differences between say the Cobra and Cobra2 is significant.

Cobra2 and Vytec DS are WAAAAY different or I was narced at the surface. Vytech DS has 3 buttons, Cobra2 has 4.

So far I really like my VT3. Just bought the uplink cable for it tonight, although I believe my VT3 was purchased before they started including the cables with them..

Back
Top Bottom