Suunto zoop vs genesis resource pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joe the plumber

Registered
Reaction score
Trying to pick between these 2 computers. Suunto zoop 2 gauge console or Genesis resource pro console. Anyone have any thoughts with either?

I have no experience with the Genesis but did own and would recommend a Gekko (older Zoop basically) for some years, I really liked it, very simple to use, cheap, reliable, battery lasted forever, robust, has user changeable battery and will fit a DSS bungee mount, I prefer to wear my computers wrist mounted.

Thanks for the reply. Looking to see about the Genesis because my LDS says that the zoop is too conservative and that the Genesis is a better computer.

Thanks for the reply. Looking to see about the Genesis because my LDS says that the zoop is too conservative and that the Genesis is a better computer.

Many people say that but in all the years I've been using Suuntos I've never really noticed. Does your LDS sell Suuntos or only Genesis?

I've dove a Suunto Mosquito for 12 years and sure, they are more conservative. For example planning a dive for 90' will tell you 22 minutes instead of 25 minutes.

Here's a more annoying one though. It'll also calculate EANx MODs 'wrong'.

An example is it'll tell you the MOD for 32% @1.4ppo2 is 107'. It should be 112'. They take 5' off to be conservative.

Now, try to plan a dive for 110'. It won't let you. It'll only let you plan for 100' and it'll say your NDL is 27 minutes. My DSAT Nitrox I tables will give me 30 minutes at 100' and 25 minutes at 110'.

So, is all of this a "bad" thing? I guess it depends on your risk tolerance and objectives. I continue to dive mine though.

---------- Post Merged at 07:39 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:36 AM ----------

BTW, if I'm reading this correctly, the Genesis has a gauge mode and the Suunto does not. Is that correct? That'd be a plus for the Genesis.

It also has one button operation which is a plus or a minus depending on whether you want simple but oops have to cycle through the screens again or if you know how to push buttons and want greater control without all the cycling.

Hmmm, seems like neither computer is perfect for me.

---------- Post Merged at 07:41 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:36 AM ----------

If I had to choose... I'd give the Genesis a try. It's a good price and if I don't like the one button operation I could always eBay it.

I believe the Zoop is a better quality computer than the React, but to each his own.

There's three different Settings on the zoop to change it from being more to less conservative in terms of no-decompression limits, that's a big plus.

I'm curious. What's the NDL's on the zoop for the profiles I mentioned earlier?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom