Swimming 400 m in 10 mins.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ber Rabbit:
Technique is the key. I watched Big-t-2538 from here on the board do his 400m in just under 5 minutes. He didn't even look like he was working because his form is so good but then again when he was in college he was a swim team member. I believe he said he was 200 lbs heavier than his old swimming weight when I saw him do that 400m. Try sending a PM to him.
O.K....maybe I had gained some weight, but 200??? Nah...it was more like 30 to 40....:D

Regardless of that, what Ber says is true. Swimming with a good technique is the key to success.

There is a book called Total Immersion that is allegedly pretty good. One day I'll have to read it to be sure, but from the few conversations I've had with people who have read the book, the techniques explained are similar to what I teach (when teaching).

-T

archman:
I'm not talking about events either. But you gotta have some dude timing your swim tests, and some of these folks call themselves "judges". Between all my water safety and scuba certs, I must've taken between 16-20 timed swims since '98. Everybody judges them differently... NAUI, PADI, AAUS, ARC, even instructors within the same agency teaching the same kind of class. The timed swims I really despise are the ones where you're required to do x number of lengths in various strokes. I'm a freestyle and sidestroke man!

Its not all that hard. I did my 400 yd swim in about 4 and 1/2 mins freestyle, and my 900 yd fin-swim in about 15 min at the ocean. Just get into shape, by swimming and jogging combined, and anyone can do it too.

Freestyle and breast stroke are my favorites. However with fins, and in the ocean, your strongest stroke will be on your back just kicking with fairly stiff legs.

A more salient question is whether people who cannot swim at all (at least without fins on) be allowed to scuba dive? That question actually comes up now and again. And the question of poor swimmers becoming scuba divers is a subset of that issue.

triton94949:
A more salient question is whether people who cannot swim at all (at least without fins on) be allowed to scuba dive? That question actually comes up now and again. And the question of poor swimmers becoming scuba divers is a subset of that issue.
Its come up quite a few times on SB :wink:

Just an added thought to the "subset" discussion.

If you are a better swimmer does that make you a better diver?

To my understanding, swimming per se provides you with certain advantages (e.g. better air consumption) but I have seen a triathalon athelete, gasping for air after 30 minutes of diving. And his skills, much has to be desired.

On the other hand, I have seen some non-swimmers who have been certified, doing very well in diving. But they have remained "recreational divers".

I guess in pursuing or increasing our skills level towards the highest non-professional level or the DM level, certain pool requirements have to be met. And once met, that individual should or will be allowed to be certified for the next level.

Just a thought. Thanks again for the inputs. Have located the local Total Immersion coach and will be joining their session next month.

amc717:
Just an added thought to the "subset" discussion.

If you are a better swimmer does that make you a better diver?

To my understanding, swimming per se provides you with certain advantages (e.g. better air consumption) but I have seen a triathalon athelete, gasping for air after 30 minutes of diving. And his skills, much has to be desired.

On the other hand, I have seen some non-swimmers who have been certified, doing very well in diving. But they have remained "recreational divers".

Well my personal view is that it would make sense to spend some time at the YMCA pool before starting to scuba.

Big-t-2538:
O.K....maybe I had gained some weight, but 200??? Nah...it was more like 30 to 40....:D
-T

LOL! Took you long enough to catch that :biggrin:
Ber

I'll pass on a bit of advice I was given before the DM swims. You get 5 points for doing the 15 min. tread correctly. Do it. You get 5 points for the 800 yd./m. mask/fin/snorkle if you beat the time and it is pretty easy to do. The tired diver tow isn't that bad and if you did good on it all you have to do is finish the 400 yd./m. swim to get 1 point and pass the swimming test. BTW I did the 400m. in just over 9 min. but had no pressure to do so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom