Swimming and finning standards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisherdvm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am a little confused about the PADI's standard and have not read the instructor's manual on it. Enlighten me.

My instructor said, I could use a snorkel if I wanted to, on the swim. I chose not too, as it doesn't seem right. I probably could cut my time by 2 minutes if I could've used the snorkel. Actually, I am sure I can swim faster.... But it is just not right. Why would PADI allow a snorkel.

Second, when I did my 800 yard swim, he would not let me use my arms. If I could have used my arms with the crawl stroke, I could probably have cut at least a minute or more off my time. I didn't question it... and did fine.

Why do they allow snorkel on the swim, and not let you use your arms on the fins? What is the REAL standard?? What do other organisations require?

Are you talking about the PADI Dive Master Stamina Exercise? Here is what the Manual states:

Stamina Exercise 3: 800 Metre/Yard Snorkel Swim
Using a mask, fins, snorkel and swimsuit only (no BCD or flotation
aids) and swimming with the face in the water, the candidate must
swim nonstop for 800 metres/yards. The candidate may not use arms
to swim, unless the candidate has a physical challenge that limits leg
use and arm-swimming is the individual’s normal swimming method
while diving. If a candidate stops, the exercise is incomplete and must be repeated.

Stamina Exercise 1: 400 Metre/Yard Swim
The candidate must swim 400 metres/yards without stopping using no
swimming aids and using any stroke or combination of strokes desired.
If a candidate stops, the exercise is incomplete and must be repeated.

I don't know PADI, but I've got the NAUI S&Ps right beside me, so I can tell of that:

For NAUI, the swimming skills are "using no equipment", so no snorkel.

Our skin diving skills (which include "Snorkel swim 900 yards (823m), nonstop, within 18 minutes.") are "To be performed wearing at least a wet suit jacket, a weight belt adjusted for proper buoyancy, mask, fins, and snorkel..." I see nothing in the NAUI S&P manual about not using your arms on the snorkel swim, but I had my hands behind my back the whole time to keep count, anyway. :biggrin:

(Of course, the NAUI standard skills are simple pass/fail. Either you swim 450 yards in 10 minutes or not. Either you snorkel 900 yards in 18 minutes or not.)

Thanks for the feedback. I am glad I chose not to use the snorkel. I just feel like, if some reason, I need to assist someone in the water, and I have no snorkel... What good am I if I can't swim without one.

Well, if I knew I could not use my arm in the fins, I would have trained harder with the fins. Did fine though... So no big deal.

Our 400 yd swim was completely unaided. Just plain ole swimming. The 800 yd snorkle was ... well ... snorkeling. Mask, fins, snorkle ... no arms.

I would think a snorkel would be a swimming aid:

I wonder if the part about "using no swimming aids" is an area where an instructor could find the liberty to expand? One could argue that a snorkle is not a swimming aid.

In my honest opinion, one should have skills to swim unassisted, and therefore a snorkel is a swimming aid. I'd dare to say that with a snorkel, I can probably improve my speed by at least 1 minute on the 400 yards.

In the same way, I think they should clarify it even more. My guess is that a wetsuit can increase your speed by a good 10% simply from better form and bouyancy.

Oh well, can't change the way how others think. I'll probably email PADI one of this day.

Speaking about swimming aids, how about goggles? This caused some debate among our instructors. We ended up swimming without them.

Speaking about swimming aids, how about goggles? This caused some debate among our instructors. We ended up swimming without them.

Current pool standards require such high chlorine concentration that your skin itches, your hair get stiff, and your eyes burn.

I consider goggles a necessity in swimming pool. It is almost cruel not to swim with them. But I imagine, if all I had to do was 10 minutes of swimming without them, it will be an annoyance.... but I'll survive it.

I wonder if you would swim faster naked? It would cut down on the drag a little, eh?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom