swimming with stage bottles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrySuitDave

Contributor
Reaction score
Los Angeles, where the debris meets the sea
Gang,

OK, allow me to ask a silly question....

The full sized Inspiration is bulky enough to cause enough underwater drag to make me slower then when I dove oc. Ok, so let's say one gets into deco stuff maybe including trimix....the swimming is slower enough without an additional bailout/stage bottle, let alone the two I have seen some guys plastered with......

Do guys end up swimming like the little box trunkfish who furiously flutter their little pectoral fins and slowly move around do to their boxy shape?

DrySuitDave:
Gang,

OK, allow me to ask a silly question....

The full sized Inspiration is bulky enough to cause enough underwater drag to make me slower then when I dove oc. Ok, so let's say one gets into deco stuff maybe including trimix....the swimming is slower enough without an additional bailout/stage bottle, let alone the two I have seen some guys plastered with......

Do guys end up swimming like the little box trunkfish who furiously flutter their little pectoral fins and slowly move around do to their boxy shape?

Yes.

Well it certainly feels that way sometimes! :D

I dive quite often with a OC buddy and he has to side sling two 11L along with his twins to give him enough gas for the wrecks were doing together, so for the same dive we have quite similar drag. On shorter duration dives that can be done on backgas twins only my OC buddy has less drag buy one 11L or more if he decos on back gas!. So I guess what im saying is it depends on the dive OC gas needs.

DrySuitDave:
I can't answer your question at all, but thanks for the chuckle when this picture popped into my head :D

Boogie711:
Scooters, Dave. Scooters.

I have been looking for some jusitification to buy one of those, now I have it, no matter how flimsy! lol

Glad you liked the visual on the box trunkfish. It is like if they need to turn, they need to plan ahead and give it time while furiously whirring their teeny maneuvering paddles while bubbling; "I know I can!, I know I can!"......I used to be into salt water reef tanks and I always loved those whimsical little critters because with great effort they seem to manage inspite of their cumbersome configuration.

Whoever designed the species was really a mischievous type.....first he plays a joke on guys by taking leftover elbow skin and permanently suspending some marbles in em....then speaking of nuts, in one hand he has a fish in one hand, a pinecone in the other, and says, "....oh, this oughta be fun..." then makes the resulting amalgamation glow in the dark for a finishing touch....

DrySuitDave:
I have been looking for some jusitification to buy one of those, now I have it, no matter how flimsy! ... then makes the resulting amalgamation glow in the dark for a finishing touch....
You said it right there, Dave: You don't need a scooter, you need a glow-in-the-dark cover for your rig. The YBOG (Yellowish Box Of Glow). :D

caveseeker7:
You're not gonna get around the YBOG, but if you want a scooter anyway:
Travel in style while balancing your tanks with the battery :laughing:
http://www.divernet.com/equipment/1103divertests.shtml
Dave, you don't want see the picture I have in my head but I'll share it with you anyway, YBOG and flourescent green Jetboots-you be the man!:eyebrow:

deepbluetech:
YBOG and flourescent green Jetboots-you be the man!:eyebrow:
You sure green Jetboots wouldn't be too much, Chris?
Around x-mas they would go well with Dave's Santa suit, but this time of year?
How about a patrioc white cover with blue Jetboots for the upcoming 4th of July?
Maybe modify the alarm to buzz 'From Sea To Shining Sea" ... :D

DrySuitDave:
... let alone the two I have seen some guys plastered with......
How about adding a bit more drag to the CCR and reducing the drag of the bailouts?
If 7ltr. tanks are enough for your bailout requirements, you get one of the larger custom boxes and mount them inboard (2x7ltr) and mount the CCR supply (or even just the O2 supply) outboard. Just something to ponder.

Back
Top Bottom