Switching to sidemount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two questions I have for the SMers though:

1. I dive backmount IT Al80's and can easily breath one side down to 1000psi (my usual reserve rock bottom) before switching regs thus only one reg switch/dive yet I often here others claiming a need to switch regs every 500psi or so. Do any of you find your balance thrown off that much that early?

2. I dive the standard longhose - bungied B/U configuration but, because the longhose is clipped off half the time, I secure the reg boltsnap with a tear away O ring instead of cave line. Do sidemounters with the same hose config. do this as well?

1) You dont NEED to switch regs every 500 psi but doing so will maximize your gas reserves.If I am in open water I get lazy about switching regs.In a spooky cave I pay much more attention.

2)Thats a good idea if diving with backmount divers who could conceivably have a catastrophic loss of gas.

Or, you can dive the two or three Kelsey & I have... But that would mean you have to actually come out and dive :cakefight:

LOL! You have no idea how much I miss diving, but my physician really didn't want me diving with pneumonia :wink:

Hopefully, I'll be back in the water this weekend.....

1. I dive backmount IT Al80's and can easily breath one side down to 1000psi (my usual reserve rock bottom) before switching regs thus only one reg switch/dive yet I often here others claiming a need to switch regs every 500psi or so. Do any of you find your balance thrown off that much that early?

2. I dive the standard longhose - bungied B/U configuration but, because the longhose is clipped off half the time, I secure the reg boltsnap with a tear away O ring instead of cave line. Do sidemounters with the same hose config. do this as well?

1-The balance is worse with sidemount since the tanks are farther apart. It's totally manageable, but why have to deal with it when you can easily switch... more of an issue in cave though, the other aspect of it having maximum gas available on a failure.

2-I use a zip-tie there since the failure of this connection is a mere inconvenience, and I can twist & break it off. And I generally don't clip off my long hose anyway, as long as I'm managing the rest of the hose properly it doesn't dangle. But yeah, it's a very good idea not to use cave line if you routinely clip it off.

Not to hijack the thread but I am curious as to what effect the upsurge in SM interest will have on the manifolded doubles vs independant twins debate. It seems these things go in circles sometimes. Perhaps another thread though.

I start to notice a difference in trim at 400-700 psi difference in tank pressure; it's easily manageable and, IMHO, serves much more as a reminder to switch tanks than an inconvenience. It's more of a gentle tugging sensation than a signifigant force pulling you sideways.

I clip my short hose rather than bungieing (sp?) it, and neither boltsnap has a break-away. My logic is this; I can breathe off of either reg without unclipping, and in an OOG situation I am going to donate the reg in my mouth initially. No thinking about which reg is where, just immediate donation of a known working reg from the same location each time. Once my buddy has gas and is calm, we'll get him onto the 84" hose if he's not on it already. Anywhere a buddy has room to get to me (and anywhere I dive), the long hose is a convenience rather than a necessity, therefore in my thinking it doesn't matter which hose I donate initially.

Just my 2 psi.

Last edited:
I am considering switching to SM for recreational diving and have few questions.

I have plenty of AL80 and do travel a lot where there is an opportunity to perhaps take gear (sans weights/tanks) with me to make opportunistic dives.

How does sidemount fare with rough surface entries?

What about boat dives?

I am diving anywhere between 3mm wet to dry as well.

Are there major cons for SM?

Walking around in sidemount sucks. It's manageable, but not as easy or mobile as back mount.

For surf entries, I stage one bottle on a float past the break. Then I walk in with the other bottle and them set up on the float.

For boat dives, I would do similar. Swim one to the anchor line and then jump in with the other bottle.

For me, this is the major con in SM. And for my ocean dives, not worth it.

I've done giant strides in sidemount (not from a boat though) and it's fine, but you need to hold onto the tanks.

The real problem I can foresee on a boat dive is actually hooking up both tanks with limited space and others on the boat getting ready. It probably makes a lot of sense to lower at least one of the tanks on a line, you'd need to dump at least one bottle before you can climb back out anyway, so you need that line.

So since you have to hook/unhook at least one bottle (not necessarily a very fast process depending on your bungee system) strong surface current/chop would be an issue.

If you are diving deep and can't rent doubles, it's still a great idea I think.

I've done giant strides in sidemount (not from a boat though) and it's fine, but you need to hold onto the tanks.

The real problem I can foresee on a boat dive is actually hooking up both tanks with limited space and others on the boat getting ready. It probably makes a lot of sense to lower at least one of the tanks on a line, you'd need to dump at least one bottle before you can climb back out anyway, so you need that line.

So since you have to hook/unhook at least one bottle (not necessarily a very fast process depending on your bungee system) strong surface current/chop would be an issue.

If you are diving deep and can't rent doubles, it's still a great idea I think.

Exactly, I don't see sm as a viable alternative here for wreck diving due to strong currents, hanging onto the decent rope is bad enough, having tanks banging around n threatening to break loose is not something I even want to think about.

SangP

More walking to the water with tanks which equals more total work, imho. Then once you get the tanks there, you have to spend a few minutes getting everything situated, and it's kind of a hose fustercluck, no matter how slick you are, it's gonna be crazier than backmount. I think there are a lot of people nowadays embracing sidemount because it's trendy and easier with modern SM equipment. However it certainly has its benefits.

I just bought a Nomad and have 2 dives on it. I have the hose cluster****, no doubt about it. I have the 7' hose on my right tank and a short hose on my left. It makes sense to be, because it's just like backmount and I don't have to think about which reg is which. I just reconfigured the existing hoses from my hog rig while I figure this out. My left hose is too short to go around my neck and I'm still trying to figure out the inflator hose. Right now I still have the corrugated hose on the right shoulder, but I'm going to swap locations with the rear dump this week.
It's nice walking to the water without all that weight on my back, but it's definately some work getting the tanks hooked up in the water.
You may want to look at the sidemount forum on cavediver.net, http://www.cavediver.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=63.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom