Switching to sidemount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bamamedic

Contributor
Reaction score
Somewhere between "hold my beer and watch this!" a
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all...no idea which forum this should be in, so "Advanced Scuba" seemed like a good choice :)

I currently dive backmounted manifolded Faber LP95's, in a typical "hogarthian" setup. I'm looking at switching to the Oxycheq Recon, but I'm considering the Nomad as well; my problem being that I'm a small 5'3'', 120 lb woman, and I don't know if the Recon would fit well (as it seems to come in one-size-fits-all, and the Nomad comes in specific sizes).

How are people setting up their hoses, and what size hoses are sidemount divers using? Is the average sidemount diver using small SPG's or the 2 inch SPG? How are the hoses routed from each first stage? If it helps, I'm diving Atomic Z2's without a swiveling first stage. I've seen sidemount divers use a right angle adaptor on their bungeed backup...if I use a Miflex hose, could I eliminate that?

And finally, and tips or tricks to make the transition easier?

Thanks, y'all!

I just got a Recon last week, I only have a couple dives on it but I really like it, the wing is really nice. I did take off the shoulder straps and replaced them with 2" webbing but have not had a chance to try it yet since it's been raining all week. I'm still trying different hose routing but the best way I've found so far is right tank -reg is on 22" hose that goes down then loops up on a necklace with a omni swivel, a drysuit hose that comes off the top of the reg and goes around my neck and connects to the wing inflator, and a small spg on a 6" hose. Left tank -reg is on a 5' hose that runs down the tank under a hose retainer then comes up my left side around my neck and has a right angle adapter, a 15" hose for my drysuit, and a small spg on a 6" hose. My tanks have Genesis angled valves, one left and one right, so I point the handles down and the spg's point in toward my sides. Last sat I dove backmount after about 8 dives in sidemount just to compare and I like sidemount a lot better.

My dive buddy just switched over to sidemount. I'm not sure if he is going to come back.

He got the Steve Bogarts harness. He ordered two new AL80's with a left and right valve. He ordered a bunch of new MilFlex hoses.

He is on this forum as OffTheWall. Send him a PM.

He dives dry, so that is his BC.

I think he initially tried to use some large steel tanks. He used to dive double HP117. I believe they were entirely too heavy.

We're going to the bahamas next July and I think he is going to dive dry and sidemount.

He loves the system.

The leather bucket passenger seat of my Miata is tired of hauling doubles in it every weekend! :D

Actually, I've tried sidemount once and liked it....I liked the flexibility I had underwater (yippee...I could stretch! :)) and I'm getting kind of tired of huffing and puffing in order to get my doubles to and from the water.

I currently dive backmounted manifolded Faber LP95's, in a typical "hogarthian" setup. I'm looking at switching to the Oxycheq Recon, but I'm considering the Nomad as well; my problem being that I'm a small 5'3'', 120 lb woman, and I don't know if the Recon would fit well (as it seems to come in one-size-fits-all, and the Nomad comes in specific sizes).

Probably as many different setups as there are sidemount divers !

For what its worth I kept mine pretty similar to the standard doubles way of doing things:
36 inch hose on left tank.Comes across the front of left shoulder and round back of neck.Bungeed like a regular backup. Right tank has a 7 foot hose that routes in the normal way,excess hose is bungeed on the tank with rubber bands.
Doing it this way its obvious which reg goes to which tank.If its on a bungee necklace its on the left tank,if it has a clip near the second stage its on the right tank.Also makes it easy to donate a long hose if needed.
spg's (Big ones!) are on 6 inch hoses and point forwards.Need to be careful with them when it gets tight (lift them up) so as not to make grooves in the silt.
Wing inflator off left tank,over left shoulder.
Drysuit inflator off right tank,under right arm

I dive a Nomad. Modified the tank bungees with the "Nomadillo" mod. Tanks had a nasty habit of falling out of the original bungees.

Overall I love sidemounting. Trim is stupid easy. Totally independent tanks are great for solo or tight twisty caves. Only real downside can be putting the gear on.If you have sheltered 3 feet deep water its easy. A rough shore entry would be interesting!

The leather bucket passenger seat of my Miata is tired of hauling doubles in it every weekend! :D

Actually, I've tried sidemount once and liked it....I liked the flexibility I had underwater (yippee...I could stretch! :)) and I'm getting kind of tired of huffing and puffing in order to get my doubles to and from the water.

You just have to consider the downsides of sidemount. More walking to the water with tanks which equals more total work, imho. Then once you get the tanks there, you have to spend a few minutes getting everything situated, and it's kind of a hose fustercluck, no matter how slick you are, it's gonna be crazier than backmount. I think there are a lot of people nowadays embracing sidemount because it's trendy and easier with modern SM equipment. However it certainly has its benefits.

I suggest searching here, and on CDF and TDS for SM hose questions, there are lots of good threads on that out there already. Everyone does something different and until GUE starts diving SM, that isn't going to change... I do not think Miflex hoses would be the equivalent of a right angle adaptor, but I do think Miflex hoses are nice for SM.

Watching some of the videos Steve Bogaert has made certainly makes it tempting--they look very graceful in the water.

Like the joke goes, look at 10 sidemounters and you'll find 12 different configurations. I'm still very much a beginner and dialing in my rig (home built Razor like harness with a 35 lb wing), so take it with a grain of salt, but this is what I'm running right now.

Left Tank: 2" SPG on 6" hose run back along tank. Big SPG is your friend here, or a slightly longer hose; it's a little difficult to check but also disappears completely when you're not looking at it. Reg comes off a turret on the first stage with a 90 degree and 32" hose that runs in front of my shoulder and behind my neck. The 90 degree fitting is very nice in this routing, it tightens the hose routing significantly as well as reducing jaw fatigue. I have not tried the Miflex hoses so I can't testify to how effective they are vs the 90 degree, but I can tell you that my 90 degree fitting makes a world of difference.

Right tank; Same SPG set-up and a stuffed long hose. 90 degree adapter is on the way for that hose too. If you want to run a long hose, stuffing it in a double U shape in bungies/snoopy loops/surgical tubing on the tank works well because you can pull all the slack out when it's stowed; it can also be a pain to deal with if too much gets deployed. The long hose is routed directly down and along the tank from the first stage. The reg I'm not breathing is clipped off to my right chest D ring; others use a necklace with little problem.

As far as tricks and tips, the best is always dive it, dive it, dive it. If you can find an experienced mentor or instructor they should be able to help immensely, if not a dive buddy with a camera is invaluable. Keep the distance between your tanks and doorhandles/hip/butt rings as small as possible; more distance makes your tanks feel looser when you fin or roll. Try standing on your head and spinning like a top; it's a pretty good test of harness stability and a whole lot of fun. Take good notes after each dive, not only of any problems but also of any changes and their effects.

JahJahwarrior makes a lot of good points in his post; while I absolutely love the flexibility, trim, and safety of SM, it takes me longer and is more difficult to get everything set in the water. It's still nice to be able to set and drop my tanks, then get into my suit and harness and walk to the water cool and light. CDF, TDS, and CDG all have a lot of good info and very experienced sidemounters, particularly if you plan on taking your rig into small cave or sumps. DiveRite also has a great series of videos (understandably aimed primarily at Nomad users) in the Solutions Finder part of their website.

Hope that helps, good luck, and safe diving

Watching some of the videos Steve Bogaert has made certainly makes it tempting--they look very graceful in the water.

My dive buddy told me about this, but I finally witnessed it last weekend. Diving sidemount, he effortlessly and easily swam through the passenger side window of a dodge full size pick up and out the drivers side.

It was fascinating.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom