SWIV vs. non-SWIV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rooster59

Contributor
Reaction score
When looking at descriptions of consoles and gauges / compass that fit in them, what is SWIV & non-SWIV? I'm old and I thought a console was a console.

Thanks a bunch in advance. Have A Nice Day :cool2:

On some consoles the end with the depth gauge on one side and compass on the other will rotate or swivel so you can follow a compass heading while still being able to keep an eye on your remaining air.

So how do you explain this? :D

Oceanic SWIV Max-Depth Wrist Gauge
or
Octo SWIV with Magnetic Keeper

I think it's just an Oceanic trademark. IDK what it means.

We could ask in the Oceanic forum...

You got me there, no idea then. I had an old US divers console many years ago but now I think about it it was called a "pivot" guess I thought swivel. I apologize for what looks like incorrect info.

---------- Post added March 10th, 2014 at 10:40 AM ----------

Someone asked the same question but looks like was never verified. Agree, ask over on Oceanic's forum.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...9408-oceanic-maxdepth-swiv-suunto-sk-7-a.html

It is but Oceanic may see it there sooner.

Technically the OP's question refers to it's use on a console, my question is why is it used on non-console products also.

I'll hazard a guess and say that it's a brand name. Like VEO, Probe, Hera or Flex. It is a confusing name...

Went on their website thinking it was a product line but no joy. So I sent an email and asked them what SWIV meant. Will post when reply received. Meanwhile Somewhere in Vegas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom