Swivel attachment for my octo??? ever use them

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think Katie K is talking about 1st stage Low Pressure Pivot Swivel which could be the OmniSwivel brand.
View attachment 105163
I acquired one but with the built-in 1/4" Standoff (extension):View attachment 105164
I will install it soon with 40" LP hose down to 90 degree right angle adapter for 2nd stage regulator. And see if hose routing would improve and more streamline.

seal

you got it... let me know how it works out for you....

I had one on an older reg. thought it'd be nice to have on the 2nd stage as it could move around freely.

well... put 135 +/- PSI of pressure on it, and it doesn't move. You can move it, but not freely. You have to hold onto it and the hose to move/turn it. (at least on mine you did.) so didn't see any real benefit on it.

As for failures... the CSPC (Consumer Safety Product Commission) did a recall on one manufacturer 2-3 years ago. Most likely any store selling them now has returned all that stock by now.

I had one on an older reg. thought it'd be nice to have on the 2nd stage as it could move around freely.

well... put 135 +/- PSI of pressure on it, and it doesn't move. You can move it, but not freely. You have to hold onto it and the hose to move/turn it. (at least on mine you did.) so didn't see any real benefit on it.

As for failures... the CSPC (Consumer Safety Product Commission) did a recall on one manufacturer 2-3 years ago. Most likely any store selling them now has returned all that stock by now.

mike_s, I am concerned about the feature and failures. As what you've said about the "recall" product, may I know if this is what you are using and talking about which is the OmniSwivel 1st stage Low Pressure Pivot Swivel? OmniSwivel-LPpivot_swivel-standoff.jpg

By the way, I've heard about the "recall" product before, if I'm not wrong it was the 2nd Stage Aqua 360 degree.aqua360.jpg
So, which is which? Thanks...

seal

I'm mobile right now but will try to find the recall and post it. I think it was for the 2nd one you posted....OEM'd by several companies at the time

sent using Tapa-Tapa-Tapa-Talk

it was the cheaper, no name, chrome, ball swivels ... CDNN :: Scuba Recall :: Innovative Scuba Concepts Scuba Regulator Component

if you search, you will also see a recall for M & J Engineering swivel on the AGA full face mask , that was not for the swivel part, but for a manufaturing defect that made the threaded portion short and it could unscrew from the mask ... none of the regular swivels were included

They were ones made by M&J Manufacturing (now Omni Swivel), and also distributed as a separate product by Innovative Scuba as an accessory. (see below note)

Also distributed by bigger name companies such as Oceanic.

U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
Innovative Scuba Concepts Recalls Diving Regulator Components Due to Drowning Hazard

U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
M&J Engineering Recalls Swivels for Scuba Diving Masks Due to Drowning Hazard

According to this, the swivel that failed was an "illegal clone" of the swivel from Omni Swivel. This below link prob has the most information about the difference and what to look for.

Recall from Innovative Scuba Swivel - Rebreather World

Alright, got it! Thanks for the recall info (web site links), mike_s and D_B.
Good, that the Swivel accessories that I have now was not part of the product recalls.

seal

I use OmniSwivel's on my primary and secondary for both recreational and technical diving. Love them. I would suggest that you don't skimp and buy the cheaper versions of the OmniSwivel. Side-by-side comparisons really tell you a lot about what is, and what isn't quality.

Do note that you will need to periodically service the OmniSwivel. Not a big deal whatsoever, and I do my own services.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom