swivel issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverlady

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a 5ft hose on for my second stage and use a swivel so I can run the hose run under my arm. A couple of weeks ago my swivel started leaking right on the ball part. I took it apart to check the o-ring. It looked fine. I cleaned it and the corresponding surfaces and replaced the ring. Still leaked.
Off to my LDS to get the o-ring replaced. they relaced it (I got the old one back.) :hmmm: Still leaking.
I don't think the swivel itself has been damaged at all. There are a couple of scratches on it but that's it. When my gear is setup but not on, I have my 2nd stage in an octo holder to keep it out of the way of any traffic on the boat so I doubt anyone has stepped on it or placed a tank on it etc.

Anyone else have issues with swivels like this? Everyone I know that use them (admittedly not many) have had only good things to say.

Diverlady

DL, we've been using those swivels for years, and frankly (knocking on wood) never had one of them leak. In fact, my original one on my original Sherwood setup is still working fine. It's got to be at least 8 years old.

However, I have to admit that I only use the swivel on my octo, not on my primary. Because that way it can always be properly oriented for anyone who needs to use it. (Esp useful from an Instructor POV.)

It may well be that you have something that is so slightly out of alignment that you & the LDS cannot find it. But the water sure can! :(

Sorry I can't help with the specific problem, but if it persists your best course of action could be to send it back to the mfg and put a new one on.

Bonne chance,

SubMariner once bubbled...

Sorry I can't help with the specific problem, but if it persists your best course of action could be to send it back to the mfg and put a new one on.

Bonne chance,

My regs are definitely going back to my LDS tomorrow for servicing. It's time for their yearly tune-up anyway.

Thanks for the info about not having any trouble with your swivel. That's good to hear.

Diverlady

I asked one of our local LDS'es about swivels for Scubapro Mk10/G250's just the other day and he said they stopped using them because of problems with leakage. I wanted to put one on my primary since I need to put the hose under my arm to prevent rubbing when I poke my head into little "caves" and crevices.

Dr. Bill

Never had any problem with swivels on all my 2nd stages, I use the 360 degree type. I use the ones from Trident. I don’t know who manufactures them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom