Swivel Turret Fell Off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whiskaz

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
First off, let me start by saying that I know I should have been paying closer attention...

I was swapping hoses on my D1 and when I removed the hose on the 5th LP port on the bottom of the turret I wasn't paying attention and managed to unscrew the whole thing. Most everything stayed together but the HP valve seat fell out. I reassembled it based on the schematic on the HOG website. The reg breathed fine sitting in my living room, all ports worked and there were no leaks. Any thing I should watch out for? Should I send it in to get checked out by a qualified technician?

I would get it checked. First of all to make sure nothing got nicked but more importantly to make sure the port is torqued to the proper spec. IF it is not it could cause problems again. There is an advisory to also use a tiny bit of tribolube on the hose threads when installing it to prevent it seizing and it needs to be properly torqued as well. That it came apart just swapping hoses would seem to indicate that one or both of those was not torqued properly. The hose too much and/or the port not enough.

Off Topic, but where'd you find teh schematic on the website? Those links have never worked for me.

If it's like an Apeks I'd check it over, check the oring, reinstall and try it out. Check it for leaks first.
However, I'll qualify that by asking if you are comfortable with doing work on the regulator? Honestly, they're not rocket engines. :)

what Jim said.

aTh e5th port needs to be torquesd to 160 inch pounds and use cristo lube/tribo lube on the threads of you hose so it doesn't end up galling in.(i do that any how on all hoses, just a tiny bit.

If you are ok in the living room and seeing where you are I would doa pool dive and if ok theer do a easy ow dive then carry on with a small lesson learned

Best,

Chris

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have taken it in to get checked out.

@ Randy
I would feel comfortable working on my own regs but would prefer to take the repair course first (trying to find time and $$$ to get back to the states to do it). I wouldn't want to be working on a reg and have a situation where I don't know what I don't know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom