symtoms lingering after chamber ride ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

willmart

Reaction score
Did some diving a week or so ago and upon arriving at the house felt more fatigued than normal, I awoke the next morning with some shooting pain in my both shoulders which I dismissed because I tend to have joint pains in the areas anyway. A couple of days went by and I started to feel some minor discomfort in my chest area and a hint of blurred vision, tons of gas(burping) and a slight headache as well. I decided to call DAN to get a little advise on the possiblities that I might of gotten a touch of DCS. DAN suggested that I call one of there Md's who prompted me to go to the ER and get check out " just in case". I did and the Md(who was well versed in dive medicine) went through a series of test's( for memory, nerves, range of motion) and concluded that a ride in the Chamber couldn't hurt. All the test's proved negative btw... 6 hours later I came out feeling better. (btw, the chamber ride came 5 days after the Dives) Md said he believes I "may" of had a slight case of type 1 dcs It's been a couple of days now but a few of the symptoms I had visit every so often ( slight headache, burping, blurred vision and minor chest discomfort) Is this Normal? Does this go away in time? The md suggested that I go get a physical to insure that no infections are lingering anywhere, due to the fact that I had a minor cough and some nasal discharge. The Md said that my chest could be a little sore for a while. I asked him if an additional chamber ride may be necessary, but he said that if there where any bubbles in my system they would have been absorbed by now either by me or the chamber ride and that additional treatment would due me no good. He said the headaches and gas(burping) could be self induced due to all the stress over worrying about all of this. Also recommened getting a P.F.O. test done to rule out a "shunt" in order to keep diving. I am also planning on having a complete Physical done but I dont know if I should do this right away or wait a while? Dr. Deco or anyone else, just looking for a little advise-feedback Thxs, WILL

Will,

It is highly unlikely that these symptoms would be returning reactions from a Type I DCS case, especially after your chamber run given the length of time involved.

I would go with the doc's suggestion that you get a complete check-up, specifically asking for some testing to resolve your particular and recurring symptoms.

While PFO testing is a complex subject, you should be advised that doctors are reluctant to do such a test, simply because the test itself is invasive in nature, and has its own set of risks.

This is, by no means, advice NOT to have it done. Simply that you need a very good reason, to go about it. (In the literature, estimates of rate of occurrence of PFO in the population range from as low as 10% to as high as 25%.)

I would go back to the doc recommended by DAN, and work with him to resolve this situation.

P.S.--One of our contributors, Detroit Diver, had a long series of problems while diving. He had the test done, and was found to have a fairly large PFO. He had the repair done, and is diving again. You might PM him for all the details.

Back
Top Bottom