Sync Sea and Sea Ys-01 with Sea and and Sea Ys-03

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys, i'm new to scubaboard, so my greetings to you all!

Here's the thing:

I've bought some years ago an underwater flash, Sea and Sea Ys-01 and recently i've bought another flash of Sea and Sea brand, the Ys-03 because i've read that it's possible to link the two of them.

I wanted to use the Sea and Sea Ys-01 as master in manual mode and the Sea and Sea Ys-03 in TTL mode, in that way i only need to adjust one flash and use both in manual mode.

I've tried the configuration that i've told you, with my sony a6000 camera, out of the water and everything works as expected, the a6000 trigers the Sea and Sea Ys-01 and then the Ys-01 triggers the Sea and Sea Ys-03, but as soon as i get into the water this configuration stops working and it does not trigger the Sea and Sea Ys-03, only the master strobe, the Ys-01.
Underwater i have to connect the Sea and Sea Ys-03 directly to the underwater case of my sony a6000 for it to work, and it works fine like that.

it's very odd and i don't know what to think or what to do....

What do you guys Think?
Thanks for all..

I think you should use it with both connected to the housing as it works fine. This is the way to use to optical strobes anyway.

Hi, thanks for your reply, but don't you think that's strange for the config that i was planning to use works without flaws out of the water and in the water stops working immediately? Do you think that is because of the quality of the fiber optic cables?
Thanks
Daniel Silva

this is strange and makes no sense. so there is something else (not just water) that is happening.

i understand your desire to daisy chain the second strobe so that its power can be controlled by your manual main strobe.

can you provide additional details of working vs not working? does it work perfectly in your brightly lit kitchen and then immediately stop working when you slightly submerge it in your bath tub? or are you comparing dry land operation to underwater operation with 3 feet of viz?

getting wet should have no effect on the fibre cables. and you indicate direct connection works, so this implies the cable is fine.

i suspect the culprit is more likely related to different power requirements due to light levels above and below water.

if you provide more test settings and details someone may be able to help you out.

Hi, thanks for your reply, i will try to do some more tests and give some feedback, in the meanwhile i talked with uk sea and sea and they say that is because of the fiber optic cables, it has to be sea and sea fiber optic cables, it has to be this ones:
FIBRE-OPTIC CABLE II - Camera Strobes & Accessories - Diving - Sea & Sea

What do you guys think?
I'm afraid that i will be spending a lot of money and if it continues not to work has i want to, it will be lost money...
Any feedback will be highly apreciated.
Thanks
Daniel Silva

...What do you guys think?...
I think you need to provide some basic details (like what types of cables are you using) before we can offer much help.

So far you have not given us anything to go on other than "it's broke".

We can armchair just about any problem. The value to you of our random conjectures will be just about zero...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom