Question Systematic review on the pros and cons of neoprene mask strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never wanted a neoprene strap, but when my normal one broke, I had one and used it. I’m now looking for the same strap for my backup mask. It has the normal silicone ends but a neoprene back. It’s not a cover. I’ve worn it with no hood, a beanie, and a full hood. Adjust like a normal silicone strap but just easier to get on. It hasn’t ever felt loose or like it was slipping. I never liked them before because they were all Velcro straps, but with the normal straps, it works for me.

Never liked the neoprene strap, used one for awhile, went back to the original silicon strap. too much slip on the back of my head.

Did get one that just covers the original strap for my daughter which works really great to keep from tangling in her hair. Best of both worlds.

Never liked the neoprene strap, used one for awhile, went back to the original silicon strap. too much slip on the back of my head.
I hate neoprene straps for that reason. I don't like to tighten the mask strap and the neoprene ones will slip off very easily.

Reactions: L13
- Neoprene strap is harder to break and almost lasts forever (agree but would it really never break, even under physical stress and/or lack of maintenance);
The rubber silicone straps don't just break either. The material needs to get really old break. You're also not supposed to yank on it... just adjust it once and you're good.

In reality the Neoprene strap was a solution to a problem already solved. Before silicon became popular our masks straps broke about every other year (along with your fin straps). At least in Florida. Silicon straps solved that problem.

Heck, you would be lucky to get 5 years out of your mask down here when they were rubber.

I like neoprene straps. So much easier to don with or without a hood. I had my mask kicked off my face at 60’ on one OW cert checkout dive. Ease of donning a mask has been a priority ever since.

Most neoprene ones I see are not actually straps, but a piece that fits over the existing silicone straps. This is what I have used for probably 20 years. Much more comfortable and easy to adjust up or down.

I prefer a neoprene strap with velcro locking because it eliminates easy adjustments... That is, once I've tuned the strap to the length I want, it stays precisely like that. The more easily adjustable rubber/silicone bands have a tendency to require readjustment on every don, or they accidentally become readjusted during the don just by pulling on the straps. Faffing with the locking mechanism to get that right with thick mittens, dry gloves, & hood in freezing water is one thing I don't need.

The other side of that coin is that they require a slightly more elaborate adjustment procedure than just "put on and pull on the straps" when I change hood, or change to/from not wearing a hood. But that kind of change usually involves a plane ride as well so in the grand scheme of things it's acceptable.

I prefer a neoprene strap with velcro locking because it eliminates easy adjustments... That is, once I've tuned the strap to the length I want, it stays precisely like that. The more easily adjustable rubber/silicone bands have a tendency to require readjustment on every don, or they accidentally become readjusted during the don just by pulling on the straps. Faffing with the locking mechanism to get that right with thick mittens, dry gloves, & hood in freezing water is one thing I don't need.

The other side of that coin is that they require a slightly more elaborate adjustment procedure than just "put on and pull on the straps" when I change hood, or change to/from not wearing a hood. But that kind of change usually involves a plane ride as well so in the grand scheme of things it's acceptable.
yeah, those are exactly my points for not liking the velcro. If I'm at the quarry, one dive to the next may have a full hood or just a beanie - existing straps are simple pull (to release) and pull to tighten as needed. They also have a bit of stretch when donning. But as with much else in diving - find what you like and are comfortable with and go with it.

The more easily adjustable rubber/silicone bands have a tendency to require readjustment on every don, or they accidentally become readjusted during the don just by pulling on the straps. Faffing with the locking mechanism to get that right with thick mittens, dry gloves, & hood in freezing water is one thing I don't need.
They don't need to be readjusted on every don or ever really.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom