Table Rock March 8-9?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bgray

Reaction score
A couple of us from Kansas City will probably be going to TR on wed and thurs. if anybody wanted to join us for a few dives. Might even bring the boat if there were to be more than 2 of us. gas=$$. We don't have any real plans on what and where we will dive. If we bring the boat, we might even do some exploring for "Oasis". A local we talked to yesterday reported 20ft vis throughout the water column and still improving. Let me know if you might be interested.

It would be nice to dive during the week, but alas my job calls me...

If you do decide to check out the possible location of Oasis post back what you think you've found or not. I had a poor mans theory that a person could drop anchor and measure the depth that way if they didn't have a depth finder.

At any rate have fun and I'll be there in spirit.

I wish I could go. I am a couple weeks away from taking my open water class. Maybe in the future I will be able to go diving with you.
PS: I am a fellow Paramedic with a flexable/weird schedule.

I was thinking of going to Table Rock. I have never been. My truck is all setup for camping. I am from Ventura Ca. I am out here for a while and want to get into the water. Don,t know if i have a worm enough suit 3mm titanium. 5 mm boot and glove.
I am waiting for my new gauge to come in the mail this week. But keep me posted I am alway up for spur of the moment trips and would love to meet some local divers and do some fresh woter dives. Thanks for your time. Daniel Little

Well, the forecast for the next two days is for moderate to severe thunderstorms so we have opted not to go this time. It figures. I don't know when we'll try to go again but will try to post when we do. Daniel, I think you might want to wait a couple of months before 3mil suit will be compfortable. A friend was there on Monday and he reported 44 deg. The dive shops ususally start taking student down around May 1st.

"When the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers flooded the valley upstream from Table Rock Dam, they submerged the small town of Oasis, Missouri. Like a modern, midwestern Atlantis, the town still sits under about 100 feet (30 m) of water. Advanced divers can float down Main Street to the town's small wooden church, which, although deteriorating after nearly 40 years underwater, offers wreck diving of a different order."

So have recent dives been able to locate this site????

I'm from St. Louis, here is my take on Oasis ...

As the quote above says "Like a modern, midwestern Atlantis"...

It seems like eveyone around here knows the name of the town, the story about it's flooding, heck most people even have very good therory's about where it's located.

I have yet to speak with ANYONE that has actually dove there, much less "float down main street to the town's small wooden church"...

I'm sure there has to be SOMEONE out there that's done it right?

I'm sure there there is someone, I just don't know them. I do however have something now to search for. I reckon that not too many people have dove this due to it's depth and also the need for a boat to reach. While 100ft isn't that deep in clear water, at Table Rock I would definately classify it as an advanced dive not to be taken lightly. Not only will this dive be deep, extremely dark, but it will most likely be a patch of foundations on a flat bottom. What does this mean? Well, you won't have a wall or slope to ascend on. So to safely surface you would most likely want to float an SMB, and ascend on a line. This can be difficult and dangerous for the inexperienced if not performed correctly.
Again, this dive is not undoable by any means, I just don't want anybody to get injured senselessly. If your gonna search for this town, be carefull.

Info from http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnis/web_query.GetDetail?tab=Y&id=751405

Feature Name: Oasis (historical)
Feature Type: populated place
Elevation (feet): 819
Description: Inundated by Table Rock Lake
State: Missouri
County: Taney

USGS 7.5' x 7.5' Map: Table Rock Dam
363219N
0931758W

See attached screen shot for where my software locates the town. According to this COE site the lake level on 3-9-2006 was 903 which puts the town at 84'.

The official location above would have been in the center of town most likely -- at the post office or other public building.

For reference, I marked on the map where a road appears to go down to the shore and also where there appears to be a distinct point on Oasis Bluff.

Willie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom