TACA in Tegucigalpa May 30th, 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc

Was RoatanMan
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Chicago & O'Hare heading thru TSA 5x per year
# of dives
None - Not Certified
TACA, aside from all the commentary that has been made over the years, runs a pretty darned good airline. They have superb pilots, good equipment, and crappy airports.

Any doubt? Look at the almost intact condition of this aircraft. It's ruined, but it says a lot about the skills of the crew. And also some great luck. It must have come down the earthen slope at jogging speed, with all systems shut down in preparation.

I've been through two, I've seen the aftermath of many. This was a good day for almost everybody.

They over-ran the run way in Tegucigalpa. Two passengers on board died. Luckily, most of us route directly to Roatan from the States. Any landing in Tegucigalpa is widely regarded as an e-ticket ride.

YouTube - Cockpit view of a jet landing into Tegucigalpa Honduras TGU <- Here's a video of an uneventful landing.

YouTube - The Ground isnt that close..... <- standing under the approach

I will still buy a TACA ticket any time. I have never wanted to route through Tegus.

By Gustavo Palencia

TEGUCIGALPA (Reuters) - A passenger plane skidded off a runway at Tegucigalpa airport in Honduras on Friday on landing, veered onto a road and smashed into cars and a building, killing at least three people.

The TACA airlines Airbus, which had 142 people on board, lay broken in three parts and spewing fuel. Two people were still trapped in cars underneath the wreckage, an aviation official said.

The plane, arriving from San Salvador, circled the airport several times before attempting to land in heavy fog, survivor Mario Castillo told Honduran television.

"Suddenly we felt a big noise and we were all trying desperately to get out," he said. "The worst injured were the people in business class."

Local emergency services chief Carlos Cordero said three people were killed, two who were on board the plane and one who was driving a vehicle hit by the aircraft. Several others, including the pilot, were seriously injured, he told Reuters.

Some 20,000 gallons of fuel had leaked out of the wreckage, posing a serious fire hazard, Cordero said.

The plane zig-zagged off the runway and smacked into some cars, the local TACA manager, Armando Funez, told Honduran television.

Tegucigalpa, nestled in hills, is one of the most treacherous airports for landing in Latin America due to its short runway and difficult approach.

"I am thanking God I am alive -- there are other passengers who are in a very bad way," survivor Roberto Sosa told Honduran radio.

The last time El Salvador's TACA was involved in an accident was in 1993 in Guatemala City when a Boeing 767 airliner overran the runway as it was landing and crashed into some houses. Nobody was killed.

Attachments

• r-1.jpeg
    r-1.jpeg
    7.3 KB · Views: 50
  • r.jpeg
    r.jpeg
    7 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Sorry guys, TACA once totally screwed me. It was not a flight delay or lost luggage thing, but an intentional and discretionary act of their home office that cost a bunch. Today, I only use them when there is no alternative.

Sorry guys, TACA once totally screwed me. It was not a flight delay or lost luggage thing, but an intentional and discretionary act of their home office that cost a bunch. Today, I only use them when there is no alternative.

Nothing to be sorry about, I agree. Their ground services suck big time.

If you can get into that plane and they get the door closed, it's all good. In-flight services like a European carrier. Up until then, it's up for grabs.

US Airlines aren't really all that much different except that the Feds take a dim view of orchestrated pre-flight passenger abuse. TACA has turned it into an art form.

Now there are reports that TACA will be suspending their direct flights to Roatan from Houston and Miami....not too sure when this comes into effect. The runway at Soto Cano is 3000ft longer than the runway at Tegucigalpa and not quite as scary to land. As Doc says most people coming to The Islands, unless flying direct, will come through San Pedro Sula.

Now there are reports that TACA will be suspending their direct flights to Roatan from Houston and Miami....not too sure when this comes into effect.

Likely an equipment inventory issue.

4 Airbus A321-200 (plus 5 on order)
21 Airbus A320-200 (plus 15 on order) EI-TAF written off
7 Airbus A319-100 (plus 6 on order)

The A321s are used in the higher density routes: San Salvador-Mexico City, San Salvador-Los Angeles, San Salvador-Miami, San Salvador-Managua, San Salvador-Guatemala, Managua-Miami, San Jose-San Salvador, San Jose-Panama, San Jose-Bogotá, Lima-Caracas, Lima-Buenos Aires. The average fleet age is 4.7 years old in June 2006.

The runway at Soto Cano is 3000ft longer than the runway at Tegucigalpa and not quite as scary to land.

It is also 1000 feet lower in elevation, a major consideration as well.

Unfortunate scene here.

I wonder what the FAA had to say about that video (not the cockpit view), he touched down BEFORE the piano keys, you are not meant to do that!

Great bit of footage though, not something we will be seeing any more though.

AP now reporting that Palmerola will require 60 days to prepare for commercial air traffic (I have heard this elsewhere, as well as comments about the tough drive from there to the city - any locals care to comment?) Mainline jets will be diverted to SAP / San Pedro Sula in the meantime while TGU / Tegucigalpa will reopen to commuter planes (<42 pax).

Black box found in Honduras jetliner crash

TA will provide transportation between SAP and TGU for arriving and departing pax.

TACA Press Releases
Rescheduling of Tegucigalpa flights
http://www.taca.com/eng/oth/oabo/oabohonshd.asp

I bet the Taxi drivers in Tegucigalpa are warming to the news. I think it is about a 40 mile journey from the airport to the city. It's a miracle not more people were killed or that the plane did not explode. Very sad!

I would imagine the politics and the logistics required for the Hond. govt. to negotiate a deal with Soto Cano could take longer than 60 days :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom