Tacoma DIVE/Travel Expo Treasure Hunt was not fair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went to the expo and had a good time -- a tip of the hat to the organizers, volunteers, and vendors. I know it was a ton of work and it showed.

That said, upon reflection who could justify prizes being distributed based on first name? It sounds like he was overhelmed and didn't have time to better consider this. And, in all fairness, there are lots of possible ways to have done this. So, while I don't think he had any personal interest in the outcome (nor was he trying to help anyone), the chosen approach could leave the opposite impression.

I think StillHope nicely laid out two of the considerations. I would offer a third possibility: the effort/skill of the diver should somehow influence the prize.

Here would be some I might consider:
a) Go to a straight raffle (must be present to win). Give away fewer prizes but do so on the hour. You could start with the low cost stuff and work your way up. (Sort of the UWS approach). Similar approach but you could always let the first winner pick another option (all in boxes) -- the let's make a deal option. Sort of the Lighthouse approach.
b) Use numbered golf balls. You turn in the golf ball and you get a numbered ticket. Tickets are drawn at random (maybe even by a litle kid).
c) Use numbered golf balls. There are drawings on day 1 and day 2 of the event. You can put your ball in a bucket for any one day. Must be present to win. If you don't win, there is a last chance drawing that has all of the non-winners.
d) Use numbered golf balls but some are specially marked ones. Those are premium prize balls. The odds of winning with the premium balls is lower than the other balls. Then use approach b or c.

As I said, nice expo.

I volunteered all three days

I publicly thanked Rick and ALL the volunteers

You seem to enjoy pointing the finger at others and flaunt your high priced wins. I don't see how you contributed in making this show any better by making others feel less. When I comment on how I observed so many divers in the crowd that were angered by the non-random selection of prizes and were actually shouting back at Rick during the "alleged drawing" then you come down on me.

I didn't point the finger at anyone, and I didn't come down on you. I merely pointed out that your allegations of my comments being "Damage Control" were wrong. I don't see how your open Criticism of the event was productive. My point was made to a general audience in that if you thought improvements could be made, to volunteer, or offer your suggestions in a productive manner.

I feel I contributed quite a lot to make this the best possible event.

Thanks again.

By the way Chris ... nice picture of you and Penelope in the latest issue of Northwest Dive News ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

By the way Chris ... nice picture of you and Penelope in the latest issue of Northwest Dive News ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I was hoping nobody noticed. Do I look tired? :dork2:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I was hoping nobody noticed. Do I look tired? :dork2:

So I got this Chris is Pez7378, is a good friend of Ricks, even gets his picture in Ricks magazine.

Rick choosed the prizes based on name so is not random and Pez7378 has one the two big prizes over thousands of dollars to him.

So I got this Chris is Pez7378, is a good friend of Ricks, even gets his picture in Ricks magazine.

Rick choosed the prizes based on name so is not random and Pez7378 has one the two big prizes over thousands of dollars to him.

Pez has already stated that he met Rick the day of the show and hadn’t known him prior to that.

His picture accompanied the article he was asked to write for the magazine about finding the treasure chest. Considering the fact that the owner of the magazine organizes the treasure hunt, that seems like a reasonable request.

I find it interesting that you feel the need to continue to make false implications months after the fact. Hanging on to personal bitterness is fine as long as you aren’t dragging others down with it through false accusations and insinuations, which you seem hell bent on doing. Why is that?

The article, picture, and a letter explaining the prize snafu can be found in June's issue of Northwest Dive News, or downloaded from the Northwest Dive News website (http://www.nwdivenews.com, which doesn't seem to be cooperating with me at the moment).

Ted, instead of guessing, Call walt Amidon at federal way underwatersports for the most truthful answer there is on how it went down.

Diveshow is for fun and it is obviuos your not having a fun life after the fact, If you go for the prizes your going to be upset unless you win. Go to see new things and meet other divers and learn different things, wether it be there secret dive spots, how they dive and what equipment they use, or even dive with some one you've met there.

Now Teddy the next show will be different, One thing Rick Stratton is very consistant of is in consistancey. Each show he has put on in the last decade has been different, he has now made it to the tacoma dome, so he is pretty close to the top of his show. Guaranted he will still try so many new things to make it different and new instead of the same show every year, thats just rick.

Anyways go to the diversfair and see if you win there and how they end up doing it and if you win or not and compare it. (lotta and's huh)

Happy Diving

I don't know where you "got" that ... but I'd lose it if I were you.

You seem intent on slandering people you don't know ... and don't know anything about.

That's pretty reprehensible.

Got some advice for ya ... next year, just stay home. You'll be much happier.

FWIW - Chris is a good friend and former student of mine, and as far as I know, he'd never met Rick before the day of this event.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

One thing Rick Stratton is very consistant of is in consistancey. Each show he has put on in the last decade has been different, he has now made it to the tacoma dome, so he is pretty close to the top of his show.
Actually, the Expo was not at the Tacoma Dome ... although a lot of people thought so and went there.

It was at the Convention Center ... which is downtown ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom