Tahiti-Rangiroa-Fakarava Trip report 12-25-06 to 1-06-07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not with the groups I was with at Top Dive.....I knew of some other divers at Six Passengers (dive op)....that were at 150' where the Hammerheads were....they had a great time....But spent much of their dive in Deco.

I maxed about 110 in Rangiroa (topdive), but there was a group of French divers that went to 200! We passed :) Man those French divers have great training! The Suuntos seem to ding u for those deep square profiles.

I don't want to go to 200 ft !!!

I just want to see a hammerhead. Sounds like you have a better chance at 150 ft but I'll still have a good chance at 100 ft.

I gettting pretty excited for the trip ... less than one week away : )

Thank you all for your help

Champ are you going to Rangiroa? Who are you diving with?....also in the group Marina took...Not so advanced.....they saw the Hammerheads at there safety stop!!!!!...NO fair!!!

Travelnsj-
Okay, I wasnt nervous before, now I am a little. How experienced do you think someone needs to be to enjoy Fakarava diving? Hope I can cut it...also hope there are enough divers as well to justify getting to the south pass.
Do I need to bring mosquito netting, do you think?

Yes, I am going to Rangiroa. We leave for Tahiti on the 18th. Join the Aggressor Jan 20-27 then Rangiroa Jan 28 - Feb 2. It looks like we will be diving with 6 Passengers since they offed a 10% discount on top of the 10 dive package for having your own equipment (so it ends up being 10% cheaper than Top Dive, and it sounds like they are similar dive outfits).

We're staying at Pension Henri in Rangiroa.

Any advise on top side attractions in Tahiti/Raiatea/Rangiroa?

jfcio1- Do not worry Mathias will not go beyond your abilities....you do not want to miss this diving....Do that pass dive I discussed...Mathias knows the one....say hi to him from me. Also there are some great Hard Coral drift dives....The Pensions have netting...Pack light Air Tahiti....is expensive for luggage beyond there allowance.

Champ.....right up the Beach from Six passenges is a snack bar for lunch....sits right out at the end...great price...great lunch....they have different things to see on your no dive day such as the blue lagoon etc.....Rangiroa is beautiful!

Do I need cash? How much? My diving and pension is pre-paid(don't worry, I booked through a travel agent-DiveTahitiBlue-so my accomodations won't be changed)....it's hard to imagine there is much to buy anyway..the occasional 10$ soda? A local souvenier? Not a drinker at all.
What do you think-maybe $200? More?
When it rains, does it affect viz much?
Did you have alot of bugs?
How about geckos?(I love them)

jfcl01:
Do I need cash? How much? My diving and pension is pre-paid(don't worry, I booked through a travel agent-DiveTahitiBlue-so my accomodations won't be changed)....it's hard to imagine there is much to buy anyway..the occasional 10$ soda? A local souvenier? Not a drinker at all.
What do you think-maybe $200? More?
When it rains, does it affect viz much?
Did you have alot of bugs?
How about geckos?(I love them)

I would only take about $100.....there is not much to spend money on in Fakarava....everyone takes CC....at the Airport in Papeete you can change money....but the exchange rate says 90 xpf to the $....you will get only 80 xpf!:shakehead

Tides affect vis.......take your bug spray....Fak had more bugs than Rang....no geckos i remember.

And soads do not cost $10....how about $3 to $4 for a warm can of Diet Coke Light!....$3.50 for a liter bottle of water......LOL

Back
Top Bottom