Take out batteries of dive lights when not in use for a long time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

XTAR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
If you won’t use your dive lights for a long time, it’s suggested to remove the batteries. Even when the light is turned off, it will still discharge your battery over time regardless of the battery composition. It may cause the battery to over-discharge, which can result in the battery to expand, leak and possibly destroy the lights.

Especially if they are alkaline batteries. Some of you at one time or the other have removed a battery compartment lid on alkaline batteries and seen the their leakage. Li-ion batteries don’t leak. While you still need to remove them from most devices just the same. That is because if there is any parasitic drain on them from the device, the batteries will completely discharge. If that happens, it will destroy the batteries.

So the simplest way to prevent this from happening, is to remove the batteries from the lights in time, and to store them properly.

PSA: Lithium-based rechargeables should be stored around 50% charge. I ruined the capacity of a few early on until I learned that.

@XTAR, for our reference, would you please list your current charger models with this capability?

PSA: Lithium-based rechargeables should be stored around 50% charge. I ruined the capacity of a few early on until I learned that.

@XTAR, for our reference, would you please list your current charger models with this capability?
I was under the impression 80 percent was optimal.

What kind of case is best for storing lithiums? Or does it not really matter so long as it keeps the batteries insulated from each other?—which all such battery cases do.

would you please list your current charger models with this capability?
You mean chargers that would stop @ 50%?

I was told by an old sailor that the Navy defines a flashlight as “a metal or plastic tube used to store dead batteries” Any moisture seems to hasten the parasitic discharge and deterioration of the batteries. I’m beginning to think alkaline batteries should be removed from any device not used for more than a couple of weeks.
My latest concern is my new SeaLife camera and the video light(s) recommended for use with it. Those Li Ion batteries sealed inside of them are difficult to discharge down to 50-80% after use.
🐸

Those Li Ion batteries sealed inside of them are difficult to discharge down to 50-80% after use.
Charge it and run it in a bucket of water for half the burn time.

Loosen the head of the light to break contact, go on with you life.

Definitely for alkaline battery. Most leak after a while and destroyed your device. Li-on is ok so far. For flashlight losses the l head or tail to break physical connection so no parasitic lost by device. Battery can still self discharge, but then it happens both inside or outside of the device.

For maximizing the storage life, yes, it's suggested to store the Li-ion batteries at around 40-60% charge. This range provides a balance between preserving capacity and minimizing self-discharge during storage.
We have some smart chargers with STORE mode, such as VC4SL, VC8, VC8 PLUS. Users just put the Li-ion batteries on the slots, choose store mode, then the chargers will charge or discharge the batteries to 3.7V automatically, ideal for Li-ion batteries' long time storage.

Back
Top Bottom