Removing transmitter battery when not diving for a while?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LFMarm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
When I am not diving for more than a couple of weeks, I remove all the batteries from all lamps, from the rebreather, Perdix, etc. to make sure they do not go bad and leak or simply discharge. I have never removed the batteries from the Shearwater transmitters (it's very easy to remove them for replacement). What are the community thoughts on best practices for storing transmiters?

No problem to store installed, IMO. Lithium coin batteries are pretty bulletproof.

I just keep some spare batteries around, which you need anyway. The amount of effort to pull transmitter batteries is too much, for the minor gain of extending their life a little. Plus the risk of messing up an o-ring or plastic thread, every time you pull them.

I try to think of transmitters as "transmitter + spare", they always travel together, and it's a solved problem.

I'll remove the batteries from my lights but not from my computers or transmitters. Never had a problem with them.

And as @iointerrupt said, keep spare batteries on hand for when needed.

No problem to store installed, IMO. Lithium coin batteries are pretty bulletproof.
The Shearwater transmitter are using CR2 batteries but I assume they are also safe to leave installed?

To be clear, my main concern about leaving batteries in is not discharging but rather chemicals leak that will damage the electronics (it happened to me a long time ago in a dive light)

To be clear, my main concern about leaving batteries in is not discharging but rather chemicals leak that will damage the electronics (it happened to me a long time ago in a dive light)
That was almost surely an alkaline battery. Such leaks just don't happen with Lithium batteries.

I understand that, but was that a lithium battery or an alkaline? If you use an alkaline battery in your Petrel, then it might be prudent to pull it for an extended period, but 2 weeks might be a little too precautionary unless you've had it in there a long time.

But you asked about the transmitter which should use a single lithium or 3 button lithium batteries. They shouldn't be a problem.

My mistake, yes CR2. If they are lithium, though, I wouldn't think twice about leaving it in. I'm going on 2.5 years without issue.

Thanks all. The leak was indeed by an alkaline battery. Thanks for the tip on lithium batteries!

Back
Top Bottom