Taking care of my Sony RX100 Nauticam housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a faulty camera for 4 years and didn't know? I feel a little stupid now.

But happy now, so all's good in stupidville :)

It seem like I have to replace the alarm battery every few dives on my NA-NEX7. This wasn't the case on my NA-600D. It's basically dead every time I check it?

As to covering your lens on your RX-100 before leaving the water, I believe the RX-100 has a lens protector that covers the lens when you turn the camera off? This is nice because if you have a mirrorless camera like my NEX7, leaving the lens uncovered, especially if you have swing mount diopters mounted, will fry your lens if facing the direct sun. This happened to me at Aquavison dive center in Krabi, Thailand, when the boatman took my rig and laid it on a soft cushioned spot facing directly into the sun for only a few minutes. Apparently the position of the lens coupled with the stacked diopters refocused the sun's rays to the middle of the lens melting the aperture. YES melted and destroyed the lens in very short time. Fortunately, it didn't reach the 24MP sensor! Now I always carry a towel with me and personally instruct the boatman who takes your rig from you how to handle it and making sure it's covered above all else. Assuming a boat handler or dive shop knows what to do with your rig is a big and costly mistake. Most dive shops are photography savvy, but not Aquavision. If you're into photography, stay away from them. They take no responsibility if your rig is damaged. Cover your lens if at all possible before it leaves the water. I'm going to look for some type of lens cover for my Aquatica +10 diopter.

My friend made up a nice neoprene lens cover that fits over his dome(much cheaper than the one they sell) Unfortunately, he has it attached permanently to his rig and it seems to float around a bit. But, it does allow him to cover the lens, prior to exiting the water, usually while he is doing his safety stop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom