Tank boot..yes or no??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JT2

Reaction score
I was wondering what everyone thought about using tank boots, and why you feel the way you do. I dive in freshwater almost always and I own AL80's, I currently have boots on them but have recently been told by several people that I should remove them, however they really can't give me a good reason why, only that they heard boots were bad. I like the boots for protecting the bottom of my tanks when they are standing upright in my tank holders and being banged around in the dive shop.

JT2 once bubbled...
I was wondering what everyone thought about using tank boots, and why you feel the way you do. I dive in freshwater almost always and I own AL80's, I currently have boots on them but have recently been told by several people that I should remove them, however they really can't give me a good reason why, only that they heard boots were bad. I like the boots for protecting the bottom of my tanks when they are standing upright in my tank holders and being banged around in the dive shop.

I do not have boots on my doubles and will take them off my single tanks shortly. The reason is twofold, dirt and saltwater gets stuck in the boot and corrodes the tank faster, the second reason is that the sharp edges of a boot pose and entanglement hazard.

There's no point to a boot on a flat bottom tank. Boots trap crap. You'll be happier without.

Tom

I have boots on any tank I use. Helps to keep it from rolling around during transportation and with all due respect, I really don't think there is a great risk of entanglement. I think the benefits outweigh the negatives in MY opinion... helps keep the tank verticle when need be, helps stop rolling, protects the bottom of the tank and it just makes sense to me to have them on. I don't disagree with the people that don't use them, I just have my own view on the subject.

I do recreational diving in freshwater with aluminum 80's by the way.

MNScuba once bubbled...
with all due respect, I really don't think there is a great risk of entanglement.

I don't either. I do think there's a great risk of crap trapping, much more so in salt water though. Steel tanks are at greatest risk but aluminum is far from immune to corrosion.

Tom

I'll make sure to at least rinse them out at least every other dive or so... never really gave it much thought until now.

No LDS charter or boat owner around here will let ANYONE on their boat unless your tank has a boot on it. Tanks without boots can damage the boat, the boot 1) protects your tank and most importantly 2) prevents damage to the boats. There is :nono: no option or room to negotiate around here. Have one, get your own boat or be content to beach dive. :box:

Strick once bubbled...
No LDS charter or boat owner around here will let ANYONE on their boat unless your tank has a boot on it. Tanks without boots can damage the boat, the boot 1) protects your tank and most importantly 2) prevents damage to the boats. There is :nono: no option or room to negotiate around here. Have one, get your own boat or be content to beach dive. :box:

I guess you don't get many serious divers up your way, huh?

WreckWriter once bubbled...

I guess you don't get many serious divers up your way, huh?

Yes, we have a lot. Concidering the cost of a tank boot, which is cheap. compaired to the damage done to boats from careless people. The boat owners made it mandentory. Small price to pay.
Not that it is wrong or right, but after seeing first hand what happens to a boat after a bit of short time with bootless tanks... I agree with the policy.:eek:ut:

Wow...I had no idea that by simply removing the boot on one's tank a person can become a "serious diver."

Other things I've learned recently about being considered a "P.C. diver":
1. You must use LP steels filled *past* capacity limits of 2640 to 3500 psi or more.
2. You must wrap a 7foot primary reg around your neck.
3. Your gear should not look well maintained (LDS instructor bragging how her drysuit has rust stains on her back and that she likes it that way...while the shops DM smiles in agreement...says a lot about condition of her steel tanks).
4. etc...

Reminds me of the guys who wear their pants halfway down their arss, no belt, no shoelaces and their hats on sideways. A lot of them don't even realize why they do it...it is just the "cool" thing to do (it actually comes from gangster rapp where inmates have their belts and shoelaces taken away in prison so they can't hang themself... when I was a kid the "Maytag repairman" look was anything but cool).

While #2 above might make sense for some...I am more than a little tired mindless sheep trying to intimidate others who don't agree. It is great to disagree or try and show others where their thinking is flawed...that is afterall the strength of these boards...to share ideas and insights. There's no reason to cop an attitude.

Thank you for the vent. I concede my soapbox.
:wink: :wink: :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom