Tank Drying Rack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sylvester

Reaction score
I seen a picture of one looked like a SS basket the tank could be inverted on over a rod that went in to the tank for forcing air to dry it out.

My 1st thought was I can make that, then I begain wondering what I would use for a donor for the basket thingy (tech term) I considered PVC but talked my self out of that since the 1st time I loose my grip on a steel tank it would shatter the pvc.

Anybody have any ideas? Or know of wha would be a good donor item for such a rack?

I agree and I tell my wife my gear will sour if it drys out however for annual cleaning and inspections I was wanting to make a rack for drying my tanks. I guess I will find some 3/16 ss rod and bend two loops of it around an 8.5" something, then have it welded together then take 3 pieces of the same rod and connect the loops at about an 18" spacing with some extra on the bottom for legs so I can get a hose up in the tank to dry it. It will also require 2 cross members on the bottom loop to keep the tank from falling through.

No need for such work. If you are doing a small number of tanks..... Blow regular (cleaned and dried) compressed air through them. Get a pressure hose like the one that connects the first stage to the second and cut off the end fitting (so it won't scratch the bottom of the tank). Put it onto a first stage and connect it to a talk. Blow about 500 psi through it for about five minutes for an aluminum and a few minutes more for a steel. Make sure that the tank is inverted. I have found that this actually works better for most steel tanks than the commercially avaialble tank driers.

Yes that is teh plan to blow air as you discribed however instead of balancing the tank on the end of a table so it is inverted I wanted to build a rack to place it in to. This way I dont drop the tank and damage anything or my self.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom