Tank Durability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MojoMojo

Registered
Reaction score
I was looking at a few posts on the forum regarding tank durability, and I didn't understand what was behind the durability differences between the tanks, so I thought I'd ask the manufacturer/distributor :D

Basically, people seem to think that steel tanks last longer than aluminum and that, within steel, LP tanks last longer than HP tanks. Is this actually true for tanks manufactured today (i.e. discounting that one AL alloy)? Is there any data for average tank life available?

Given that the xsscuba.com website says that the Luxfer AL tanks are tested to 10K cycles, I would have guessed that AL tanks would actually last longer b/c of corrosion in mistreated steel. I would have also guessed that the difference between HP and LP steel would be so small that it would be hard to notice.

Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom