Tank Failure in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From what I gather from the posts, If there is one shop that fills the air in Cozumel, should they not check tanks before fillling them? I know my LDS will always crack the valve befoere filling to make sure there is positive pressure. Going without a a scheduled VIS for in salt water, high cycle tanks looks like a recipe for diasaster. Hey Sandisk what was the name of you the dive operator you used.

this has happened to me before. it is aluminum oxidation, which in my experience as a VIP tec usually manifests itself as a fine white powder. this can get packed into the valve, or as in my case, packed into the filter of your first stage, especially those with cone shaped filters, blocking airflow. its even worse if the dip tube is missing, and the diver inverts himself underwater. I have only rarely seen this in the states, where tanks are vip, and only in old unmaintained tanks that havent been vip inyears. However, I have seen it several times in the caribbean, where tanks have no vip, and often out of hydro too. Theres no fail safe way to know without removing the valve and looking inside. Checking for a vip sticker helps, as it takes a lot of oxidation to be a problem (small amounts tend to stay stuck on the inside walls), but caribbean operations often dont vip, and even if a sticker is present, theres nothing stopping an operator from ordering a bunch of stickers and slapping them on tanks (Ive seen this all too often). Also check hydros, every time ive seen this, the tank was out of hydro too. Finally, when you set up, be sure to crack your valve open before connection a reg. Sometimes you will see the powder jet out, but only on the first opening of the valve. If you do have a problem while diving, be sure to check your first stage for powder clogging it or youll have problems the next dive, and again, crack your valve and look for the powder flying out (again, only noticeable the first time you crack it) and let the operation know.

Im glad to see this thread, its a pet peeve of mine. Last time it happen to me I was teaching, and when I stopped getting air, I immedialtely knew the cause (Id been bitching about tank maintenance for while). I was able to surface normally, getting minimal breaths, but if it had happened to one of my students, there would likely have been a serious accident.

Your can check my thread but bottom line is that was never did get to a root cause... I ended up replacing what appeared to be a perfectly good reg since I lost confidence in it...

Are dive ops under any obligation to VIP their own tanks?

As I understand it tank VIP's have no legal standing in the U.S and probably less than that in Mexico.

VIP is a copyrighted term by SSI. EOI(evidence of inspection) labels are required by the DOT. Now wriiten into the Code of Federal Regulations. Maybe not law, but just as good.
Someone else mentioned DOT. If you own your own cylinders and compressor and dive in a lakie in your back yard, then you MAY not need hydros or EOI stickers. Travel with it in a car and all bets are off. People have recently gone to jail over some of this and fined 10's of thousands of dollars.
Source: Recent class @ DEMA by PSI:)

I run a very small dive shop on guadalajara mexico and rent tanks also, there is were the problem is...¡¡¡ Im paraniod in order to have my tanks in perfect condition because I breath from them too¡¡¡ long history short is I rent tanks to LOCAL PAINTBALL fields 3 to be exact, and some times to PAINTBALLERS who play at remote locations, I DO NOT RENT ANY MORE TO PAINTBALLERS because I found CHIPS (potato chips)on the bottom of a tank¡¡¡¡, I use to refill this tanks on no more 40% o2 preblending I dont know if it can cause an explotion but NO MORE RENTAL TO PAINTBALLERS... :(:idk:

EOI(evidence of inspection) labels are required by the DOT. Now wriiten into the Code of Federal Regulations. Maybe not law, but just as good.

Travel with it in a car and all bets are off. People have recently gone to jail over some of this and fined 10's of thousands of dollars.

Can you quote chapter and verse on either of these?

Sounds to me like the valve on the tank failed, this is the #1 reason why I buy and maintain my tanks with a very reliable dealer. I know when you dive in resorts and other countries you have to fly to, renting tanks is the only option, but I am just glad to hear you are ok. I will tell a friend of your mishap and ask him and his Tech buddies if they can shead some light.....:D

Sometime last year I read about an artivle in Alert Diver mag. The article was about: "how you should always check your gear after you have it serviced. Poor servicing could lead to problems" Maybe in a pool with someone next to you. Coud it be the service? Did you use your equip and did you have any prob. the second time?

I have also seen instances (not many, but a couple) when tanks have come in to my shop for inspection and the dip tube had fallen off the valve (they generally screw in) or where missing completely. The purpose of the tube, of course, is to keep any loose material that develops inside the tank from impeding air flow. Without it, when in an angled down position, the valve opening becomes the lowest point, and loose material may gather there and potentially block air flow, or be pushed through to the regulator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom