Tank Marker Lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

burnt3d

Reaction score
what do you guys use for a tank marker for night diving? any suggestions? where to buy? cost? or do you actually need one for night dives? tim

I stopped using chem sticks, and now use a small marker light that uses 2 AA batteries and burns for a bazillion hours. It's made by Underwater Kinetics but there are a few similar ones out there.

Neil

Depends--if I am in a situation where I could really get left behind, like an offshore boat dive, I use a chem stick--no chance of failure.

If I am just having fun in the ocean but don't consider getting lost at sea to be a real risk (eg--swimming out to a patch reef) i don't use anything, the little wormy critters like light and swarm around my neck and ears if there is a tank marker light--very annoying

If I am leading a group on a shore dive, in or in fresh water I use one of those AA lights mentioned above.

What really spoils my night dives is strobes on a diver--very distracting.

My regular buddy and I use tank lights that are made by Princeton. They can be made to operate as white lights or red lights.

Watergal: I hope you do not object to underwater photography. Some of my best photos were taken on night dives.

SF

Scorpionfish, Many pardons if I used wrong terminology. I did not mean camera strobes, but the tank lights with capacitors that can be set to flash continuously. Flashers? They are great for marking an egress point off in the distance, but I find then incredibly distracting up close and personal.

:bonk:No, my only objection to underwater photography is that I am so poor at it!:loopy:

Burnt, I just noticed some of your questions got skipped.

Need is a funny word--Methinks different divers here will have different ideas. I can tell you that many boat operators will require them on their divers. My buddies and I use some low level light any time someone has to find us (drift boat dives), anytime someone MAY have to find us (boat, shore dives in tidal conditions or current, long swims), anytime there may be boat traffic, and any time we are not sure how easy it will be to stay together.

You are so right to ask for suggestions--some lights flood frequently, others almost never if properly closed. AA lights are typically $10-15 + batteries. Chem sticks are usually $1-2 at a dive store, plus a few pennies for a tie wrap. Walmart type places do a bit better. This year I stocked up at half price at a party store after Halloween.

Question: I have seen a yolk screw with a light built in, but have never seen anyone dive it. I'm curious--anyone here ever used/seen one underwater? How does it do?

:tree:~Watergal

Watergal,

I have seen the yoke lights before, their ok I guess, but I agree the strobe type are obnoxious.

My wife and I dive with the amber colored Lazer sticks, both at night and in low vis diving. Its amazing how helpful they are in low vis.

I like tank lights at night especially in a group due to thats how I keep track of my buddy (wife). I can pick a colored tank light out faster than try to figure out which light is hers.

I got mine from leisure pro.

Tom

Tank markers are a nice to have item. Lights are a definate requirment. I've found markers to be particularly useful when used in the following manner:
  • with students - where, if possible each buddy pair used a different colour chem stick
  • when diving in an area where you are likely to encounter other divers - it's so much easier spotting if the divers are part of your diving group (or your dive buddy)

My plan - a battery run one, with chem back up.

a word of caution with chem sticks - I've heard that a number of dive areas (particularly those with coral) are starting to ban them - apparently some @&*#^#@&* idiots are throwing them away (into the water) when they're finished the dive. geesh!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom