tank pressures VS regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Do you need to have a special reg for 3500 PSI filled tanks? I have been using mine with out incident with 3000, but I never really gave it any thought until today. Am I doing something wrong, or are all regs built to take that kind of pressures? what about older models? How would one know if there is a difference?

Depends on the reg. Most newer regs will not have any issues with 3500 psi. What brand of reg are you using???

Dacor pacer plus Old enough that Dacor does not supply parts any longer, but that has not been an issue, as most of the parts are standards ones.

One consideration is the yoke. Some older yokes were designed for low pressure tanks and could be dangerous with even 3000 psi and need to be upgraded. A 3500 psi service pressure normally requires a DIN connection although it is possible to get by with a yoke conservatively designed for a 3300 psi service pressure.

Piston first stages are prone to a high presure o-ring pinch at higher pressures, particularly if the piston stem or first stage body is worn and has a looser tolerances than when they were new. Newer piston regs like the Scubapro MK 25 use a bushing system to ensure tight tolerances can be maintained.

diverrick:
Dacor pacer plus Old enough that Dacor does not supply parts any longer, but that has not been an issue, as most of the parts are standards ones.
Do you know what model Pacer it is? Dacor made so many different Pacer models it is unreal. I know I have been a repair tech for many years.
I still use my Dacor 950 along with all my newer stuff, but I do have the 300 bar din on it. With Dacor being bought out, the parts will be drying up fast for older models. If you know what model it is I might be able to help you with a Dacor parts kit.

Kvdivr

A yoke that is rated for such pressures will be stamped accordingly. Most are labled as 200bar, which is approx. 3,400psi. I personally believe that a DIN connection should be used for anything above 3,000psi. Utilizing a 300bar DIN connector on your reg allows it to be used with either 200 or 300bar valves. The only difference is the length of the connector, thus the longer variety can still fit the shorter orifice. Obviously, the inverse is not true.

The only mechanical problem with high pressure (other than yoke issues) is that the HP seat is more likely to have a shorter life span. You should always open the valve very slowly and depress the purge button while doing so. This reduces a lot of the mechanical stress that takes place as the valve closes the initial time. I encourage all divers to do so.

Greg Barlow

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom