Tank racks for transportation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was using the foam but of course they only support the tanks in one direction. I bought 5 pieces of PVC pipe and connected them together with rope. Drill holes through the PVC and tie good knots on each side to hold in place. It works great, it's cheap, and with rope you can roll up the holder and take up less space.

--Matt

Diagram below (ha ha)

|--|--|--|--|
| | | | |
| | | | |
|--|--|--|--|

I use an old pallet with bungies. who cares what it looks like. it just needs to work.

matt_unique:
I was using the foam but of course they only support the tanks in one direction. I bought 5 pieces of PVC pipe and connected them together with rope. Drill holes through the PVC and tie good knots on each side to hold in place. It works great, it's cheap, and with rope you can roll up the holder and take up less space.

--Matt

Diagram below (ha ha)

|--|--|--|--|
| | | | |
| | | | |
|--|--|--|--|

That's what I did. Used 2" PVC, cut them down to size, drilled holes in them, and strung them with some polypropylene rope. They are secured with some bolt snaps to some cargo rings in the back of my SUV. Works great and is cheap!

bhapps24:
I use an old pallet with bungies. who cares what it looks like. it just needs to work.

Now that's a rack. Each week I get my freight in on pallets and have some pretty nice ones. There is an added bonus to this method- Besides being able to unload with a forklift :) Pallets are great for beach bonfires-- which are legal here.

Looks like I've got a new bottle rack - grin-

DrDuktayp

warren_l:
That's what I did. Used 2" PVC, cut them down to size, drilled holes in them, and strung them with some polypropylene rope. They are secured with some bolt snaps to some cargo rings in the back of my SUV. Works great and is cheap!

I did the same thing, I also took some flexible tubing and zip-tied pieces around the PVC, it provides some "grip" on the tanks so they don't slide out the end of the rack.

Ben

OneBrightGator:
I did the same thing, I also took some flexible tubing and zip-tied pieces around the PVC, it provides some "grip" on the tanks so they don't slide out the end of the rack.

Ben
That's a good idea - they were slipping around quite a bit as the PVC does not provide a lot of traction. I'll give that a go.

If anyone is interested I have some of the expensive Precision Dive Gear two tank racks for sale. The company is out of business to the best of my knowledge, but I have a couple of brand new two tank racks I'm selling for $49.95 each. Just shoot an e-mail to danaoneal1@yahoo.com if you are interested.

Dave

I often need to carry up to 10 tanks in the back of my double cab pickup. I currently have wooden racks (2 - 2 X 6's with scallops for the bottom, and 2 - 2X6's with double scallops for the top). This works reasonably well - it should be better when I put some rubber strips on the bottom of the flat bottom piece to keep it from sliding on the bed liner, and some inner tube rubber in the scallops. I like the idea of the PVC pipe and rope as it would take up less space for storage, but this seems to only work for one tier. My system is very bulky (and heavy - the wood here is all mahagony - it looks good, though). Any thoughts or experience on other options?

Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom