Tank Size and Weight AL80 to LP85

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

d_frag

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've been certified now for a few months and gotten in a half dozen dives. All of them have been with an AL80, so I have my weighting and bouyancy fairly sorted out with that tank. With the AL80 in Northern California I need 36 lbs. It seems to be a lot, but I've worked that down from 46 lbs from when I started with open water. This weekend I have an opportunity to dive with a steel LP85.

From what I gather through the limited search I've done, the AL80 starts slightly negative bouyant (-1.5, give or take) and when near empty it is +4 lbs (give or take) positive bouyant. The LP85 starts neutrally bouyant, and when near empty is roughly 6 lbs negatively bouyant. Given that, should I think about reducing my weight 4-6 lbs? I would really not want to feel like a boat anchor becuase it is a struggle to keep good trim and bouyancy. Thoughts? Am I in the right ball park?

thanks

I think you have the LP85 backwards. A tank cannot end up heavier at the end of a dive.

All of them have been with an AL80, so I have my weighting and bouyancy fairly sorted out with that tank. . . . This weekend I have an opportunity to dive with a steel LP85. . . . should I think about reducing my weight 4-6 lbs? . . . Am I in the right ball park?
Yes, based on the nominal buoyancy data for an AL80 and an OMS LP85 (with the correction noted by Paladin). I would probably drop 4 lbs to start, then try dropping 2 more on a second dive, to see if you can do it.

Back
Top Bottom