Tank Spacing For Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rstofer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a set of the Rick Green doubles bands that I plan to use with a pair of Al 50s. I'm too old to hump dual LP 72s.

I bought a simple manifold that has just the center valve and outlet with a J valve feature. This manifold seems to be built with 8" center-to-center spacing. It's in the shop being rebuilt so I can't provide additional nomenclature. I think it's a Dacor valve.

I also bought (yesterday) a Sherwood manifold with the center outlet for the DH reg and a right post for a convention first stage. This manifold is built for 8-1/4" spacing.

When I measured the band spacing I get about 8-1/8" but this isn't necessarily exact because of the gap at the clamp.

Does anybody know if either (or both) manifolds will work with the bands? Is there a standard spacing for LP 72 or Al 50 doubles?

I also posted this question in the Tanks forum but I am really more interested in what the Vintage folks have to say.

I kind of like the idea of using a conventional 1st stage on the right post. Thanks to DA Aquamaster for suggesting it in another thread!

I asked over in Tanks so I'll ask here: I have a manifold with 10" spacing. What would that be used for?

Thanks
Richard

Both should work with the bands. As for the 10" spacing I can't answer that.

I kind of like the idea of using a conventional 1st stage on the right post. Thanks to DA Aquamaster for suggesting it in another thread!
Thanks
Richard

Other than providing a donor regulator to a ooa buddy who can't buddy breath from a double hose the single hose with all it's high pressure hoses and O rings and multiple failure points is more of a liability then a plus

I'm looking at this extra 1st stage as an alternative to using a banjo fitting for the SPG and the hookah port for the BC inflator as well as the possibility of an octo although that is low on the list. If I did add an octo, it would be an Oceanic Omega II.

I will have the DA AquaMater fitted with the Phoenix nozzle, no problem. I'm thinking of using that with a single HP 100 and conventional BP/W or horse collar. Even if I add a dry suit, there are plenty of ports. No problem with the SPG, either.

The RAM presents another consideration: I could use the banjo and hookah approach or I could use a separate 1st stage. But I am not currently planning to modify the RAM. It is magnificent just the way it is. That triple port device from Leisure Pro will handle the BP/W, dry suit and potential octo from the hookah port. The banjo can handle the SPG.

But, when I get to the Mistral, I don't have a hookah port. I can do oral inflation or use a separate 1st stage. It seems to me that, if I am even thinking about a dry suit, I should be looking at a separate 1st stage. I guess I could carry a pony bottle (argon?) for BP/W and dry suit inflation but that is not an approach I have been considering.

Richard

Last edited:
Take a look at my tank set up in this thread.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/vi...atest-technical-diving-regulator-phoenix.html

Notice that you need to reverse the posts and place the alternate outlet on the left pointing back to avoid any interference between the DH and the alternate regulator.

The large advantage of the Sherwood manifold is that the alternate regulator can provide all the LP and HP ports for any accessories (BC, dry suit, true alternate air source, SPG, etc.) and it can also be shot off in the case of a failure.

I can barely reach my valves, but I can always loosen up my waist belt and push the rig up to access the valves.

DSCN4595.jpg

DSCN4596.jpg

That's exactly the manifold I ordered! Thanks for the photos!

Richard

My manifolds show approx 8.2 inches. I use the same custom bands for aluminum 50s and steel 72s. My Sherwoods are the same as MY USD manifolds, about 8.2.

Where did you get an 8 inch manifold?

N

I have a set of the Rick Green doubles bands that I plan to use with a pair of Al 50s. I'm too old to hump dual LP 72s.

I bought a simple manifold that has just the center valve and outlet with a J valve feature. This manifold seems to be built with 8" center-to-center spacing. It's in the shop being rebuilt so I can't provide additional nomenclature. I think it's a Dacor valve.

I also bought (yesterday) a Sherwood manifold with the center outlet for the DH reg and a right post for a convention first stage. This manifold is built for 8-1/4" spacing.

When I measured the band spacing I get about 8-1/8" but this isn't necessarily exact because of the gap at the clamp.

Does anybody know if either (or both) manifolds will work with the bands? Is there a standard spacing for LP 72 or Al 50 doubles?

I also posted this question in the Tanks forum but I am really more interested in what the Vintage folks have to say.

I asked over in Tanks so I'll ask here: I have a manifold with 10" spacing. What would that be used for?

Thanks
Richard

Cannot do it on the right post, must swap to the left post. The Sherwood manifold can easily be swapped, you can even have three outlets, right, center and left if you like for whatever odd reason:

DSCF0593.jpg

Luis, how ya like that manifold you got from me with the reserve valve?

N

It looks great. It is in line with a number of other projects. Actually, I am going to get a pair of aluminum 50 in hopefully the near future. Well, maybe this summer.

My manifolds show approx 8.2 inches. I use the same custom bands for aluminum 50s and steel 72s. My Sherwoods are the same as MY USD manifolds, about 8.2.

Where did you get an 8 inch manifold?

N

I got both of them from a rather popular valve seller on eBay.

I'm not certain the 8" valve is actually 8". It is in the shop so I can't make a measurement. It could very well be 8.2". In any event, I don't need that one now that I have the Sherwood.

Richard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom