Tank Threads.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shipreq

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking for a cheap method of holding my tank valve for disassembly/assembly. I have been trying to find a 3/4" x 14 pipe pipe nipple. I would use this to hold my valve in a vise. Thx Shipreq

I'm not sure why you are having trouble with finding this but even so, a pipe coupling would use a tapered thread whereas the SCUBA valve is NPS, straight. Just hold the valve in a smooth jawed vice or insert it in a tank while wrenching.

Thank you. I did end up using the tank but was just looking for a jig to put in the vise. I understand this is a straight pipe thread. I would guess that an electrical conduit coupling would work since these are a straight thread also.

Thanks again.

An aluminum electrical conduit coupling would be even better since it would be softer than the valve.

The conduit pipe thread is usually tapered but the coupling thread is usually straight.

Thanks to all those who read my note and replied. I tried an electrical "coupling" and it worked great! I think I was trying to make it harder that it actually was since I was under the impression scuba gear always has to be a "little bit different". Note: a pipe coupling will not work as it is designed to "seal" whereas a straight thread is done for mechanical integrity and the seal actually comes from the o-ring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom