Tanks on Catalina Express

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rule is you can only carry one tank each. I've heard others mentiont hat everything has to be carried down in one trip, but I've never had them stop me from making a second trip either in Avalon or on the other side. Of course I'm usually going against the traffic so the boats are not full.

Dr. Bill

In all the years (15+) that we've been taking scuba gear to the island, we've never been told that we can only make one trip carrying gear to the boat; must be something new. We have always taken our steel-75's with us and use a two-wheel dolly to get all the stuff to the marine park and back. One of these days, I'm going to make a cardboard sign that says, "Scuba homeless. Will work for air."

I believe it's possible to call ahead and reserve tanks. DrBill, can you verify that? One advantage to using the rental tanks on a busy weekend is that they fill those first. If you bring your own, you often have to wait for a fill.

This could be part of the new security rules, in which case it might actually make sense. Still haven't seen it enforced myself.

I don't expect THAT much traffic this weekend that you'd have to call and reserve tanks unless you had a specific requirement that might be in short supply (63's?). Since I always use my own, I don't know about whether either or both shops will take phone reservations. The CDS rental tanks are the only ones that get filled ASAP (since it is their air station).

Dr. Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom