Tanks on Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TROGDOR

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am moving to Oahu in a couple of months and wondering what a AL80's costs out there...trying to decide if I should buy them here ($190 new/$150 used+8.3% tax) or wait.

I would imagine if any dive gear were sold without the 'tourist markup' it would be tanks...

My employer is paying for my move, so the extra weight is not of concern

Yeah... On Craigslist you can get good ones for $50 - 80 or sometimes less used. New... Maybe $200 to 250 if you go to a decently priced shop.

Tanks will cost about the same, if you buy them new. However, that only goes for aluminum tanks - large steel tanks are not popular here and can be very difficult to find. If you want to dive steel 100s or 120s, you might want to look for some on the mainland first.

Since Hawaii has a lot more active divers than Oklahoma, it will be much easier to find cheap used tanks over here.

Last edited:
I just sold 4 for $60 each...they went FAST. Want a set of doubles???

Thanks for the info...I think I'll go on craigslist when I get there....not much of a used scuba gear market here in Oklahoma.

MilitantMedic- I am no where near ready for doubles, so I'll have to pass...

Hey there TROGDOR! Sounds like we are "trading places"! My husband is in the Air Force and we are going to be moving to Oklahoma in a couple of months! Hope you have as much fun diving here as I have!

Hey there TROGDOR! Sounds like we are "trading places"! My husband is in the Air Force and we are going to be moving to Oklahoma in a couple of months! Hope you have as much fun diving here as I have!

Sorry to say...but I think I'm getting the better deal:wink:

What you can do is take your mask, and spray the lenses with black spray paint. that will prepare you to dive here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom