Tanto tip ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-Quebec:
I want to buy a small BC knife and I found that the wenoka SQUEEZE was good choice but I wondering..what's the purpose of that tanto tip blade..?

thanks everyone!

http://s1059kxm.leisurepro.com/weba...6&cgrfnbr=968&parentCategory=965&sort=prsdesc
Hi there,

I know a little about dive knives, and knives in general, but am far from an expert. But here's my $.02.

When I got into diving I saw two basic types of blades, the traditional pointy ones and blunt-tipped ones. I went blunt, since I believe the need to pry is much greater than the need to stab. If you pry with a pointy tip, you'll likely break it off. My guess is that the Tanto is an attempt at the 'best of both worlds' approach. It has a slight tip, but is still thick enough to be strong.

But I'm not sure why you need a tip at all. Let's say, just for the sake of arguement, that you're attacked by something. Stabbing it will probably only make it mad, and put blood in the water. Both of which are bad IMHO :wink:

The most likely scenario for a knife seems to be to cut yourself free from some entanglement. Most likely fishing line. I like knives with a line cutter that is located near the end of the blade. If the cutter is near the hand guard (as is usually the case), it seems it would be difficult to cut tightly-wrapped fishing line. But blades with this design are hard to find. Wenoka has made a couple of models, and there may be others.

I also like the idea of a partially-serrated blade, since serrations greatly aid in cutting rope and webbing. There's no telling what you might get tangled in, or for various clean-up duties. On my certification dives I used my knife to cut away netting that was wrapped around a sponge. Some people advocate snips, but I like a modestly-large knife that can be used to cut heavy-duty stuff if needed.

Back
Top Bottom