Tanzanian Diving which is better Mafia or Pemba Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I have been trying to get some good reliable Info, about the Diving around Mafia & Pemba Island. I am heading to Tanzania in 10 days, to go on Safari for two weeks. Then I am looking forward to taking a long cool dip in The Indian Ocean.
We are both very experienced Divers, so Deep, Drift &/or Dhow Diving is not a problem! Adventure is our middle name! (some say CRAZY!)
Does anyone know somebody, that has actually dove on either island? We would really like to get some 1st hand Info. We are most interested in which Island has the better Diving. What are the differences in Marine Life? Which is the most pristine?
Top-side advice about the Islands & catching a flight there from Dar es Salaam is also welcome... We have been taking alook at Swahili Divers, in Pemba (Via the InterNet).
Thanks, Big Mike.........

Welcome to the board, looking forward to your trip report when you get back of not only the diving the the safari! My wife and I were going to take the exact same trip last July, 2 wks safari, 1 wk diving. Instead we did Australia. Tanzania will possibly be next July.

Kev

My trip is coming up Jan. 2. I did lots of research about the diving, but didn't get much feedback on Mafia. I've chosen Pemba because of what I've heard about the diving, which I'm told is fairly pristine, and lots of big stuff. Swahili Divers doesn't get good reviews at all so I'm staying at Manta Reef Lodge up on the northern end of the island and diving with their house op. I contacted them through Tracey Le Roux and her email address is:
tracey@africanencounters.com
Manta Reef also has a website but Tracey seems to do all the booking for them. It's an all-inclusive, which I've only done once and didn't like all that much, but I didn't want to stay in Chake Chake and this place sounds lovely and quiet. Works for me. Check them out. And if you do end up going to Pemba please post some sort of report. I'd be very happy to hear what you think! I'm also doing safari, but after the diving. Oh, there are flights directly out to Pemba from Dar, or Arusha, but no direct flights back. You have to overnight in Zanzibar.
I hope some of this has been helpful. Can't wait to hear about your trip. :)

Beck

Beck

Have you managed to make contact with their house diving op (I think it's a part of One Earth Diving)? We're staying at Manta for 6 nights but I'm trying to work out how many dives I can squeeze in without alienating the wife.

Anyway, Mike, I'm also off to Pemba in January next year - I've heard from various sources that it's the best diving on the East African coast. As beck mentioned, little info was forthcoming from Mafia with my research. Let us know how your trip turns out.

We went diving in Pemba with Swahili Divers back in 2001. The accommodation was comfortable but basic, and the staff were excellent. The diving was top notch – it’s a 30-40 minute Land Rover trip down to the boats, and then anything from 20 minutes to 1.5 hours to the dive sites. The RIBs have all been replaced by dhows (according to the website) but when we there they had a couple of good Tornadoes which took you out to the sites…

The diving was some of the best I’ve seen (and compares well with the Maldives). There are some great reefs that appear to have survived some of the slightly more invasive Tanzanian fishing methods (i.e. the use of dynamite / poison) and there were some pretty big pelagics around (September). The soft / hard coral was great and there were some great sites for invertebrates.

Flight to Pemba was in a twin engined plane from Zanzibar. The flight is about 25 minutes but the luggage allowance was minimal – we were told 15kg – which can be a problem if you have your own kit.

The Lodge is a really friendly place, but there’s not much else to do apart from dive. If you want more comfort, there are a couple of more expensive places in Pemba – Fundu Lagoon looks amazing and is a barefoot luxury resort (of the kind made famous by Soneva Fushi in the Maldives) and Manta Reef, a hotel on the Kigomasha Peninsula. Both hotels offer excellent diving. We went with Swahili Divers because it was slightly cheaper, but I’ve heard good things about all three.

I haven’t been to Mafia Island, so I can’t really comment on the diving.

Have a great time in Tanzania. I spent nine months out there teaching English back in ’93. The people are lovely and the safari is amazing. Have fun…

I appreciate all the help from my fellow Divers. Noodle fish your post is right on the money! Excellent Diving with cheap basic accomodations & good food, plus great atmosphere. That's all a simple DiveAholic like me asks from this World!!!

"Hands Down",the greatest single thing about our Sport, is the tremendous camaraderie and can do spirit....... Big Mike........

Cozumel Kidd:
I appreciate all the help from my fellow Divers. Noodle fish your post is right on the money! Excellent Diving with cheap basic accomodations & good food, plus great atmosphere. That's all a simple DiveAholic like me asks from this World!!!

"Hands Down",the greatest single thing about our Sport, is the tremendous camaraderie and can do spirit....... Big Mike........

Great news. I think my fave dive site was Mesali Island - a protected area that is one of Tanzania's only marine reserves. It's a nesting site for turtles and has some of the most stunning beaches on the coast...

One of the best sights was the Spinner dolphin...

I think I need to get back there again... :sigh:

Hey Simon,

No, I haven't been in touch with the dive op. Thought I'd figure that all out once I get there. If you get any details I'd be happy to hear them.

Now a question about excess baggage fee. Any idea if that has to be paid in cash? Anyone know? I will definitely have to pay....

Thanks,
Beck

wandernsoul:
Hey Simon,

No, I haven't been in touch with the dive op. Thought I'd figure that all out once I get there. If you get any details I'd be happy to hear them.

Now a question about excess baggage fee. Any idea if that has to be paid in cash? Anyone know? I will definitely have to pay....

Thanks,
Beck

Beck

I have managed to get hold of them and asked them a few questions. WRT the baggage fee, the limit is 15kg, and the excess cost US$5.00 per kg. Ranjit seems to feel that they're not too strict on it.

BTW, what suit are you going to use? I only possess a 7mm suit, but I was thinking us just using the Farmer Jon with a steamer vest....

Simon,

I'm taking my 5mil. A 3mil would probably be fine, since it will be very warm, but I chill easily and since I hope to be doing several dives, I think the 5mil will be okay. Do you know if the dive op is willing to take you out for 3 boat dives a day?

Beck

Back
Top Bottom