Tavernier???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SWAMPY459

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

Due to circumstances beyond my control I will be stuck in Tavernir key for a day. Can you tell me if there is anywhere there to dive or just snorkel around from the shore or a public dock?

Or can you recommend a good, uhm, I think you call them "cattle boat" that will either assign a buddy or let you dive solo .... My dive buddy will be with me but he has business to attend to that day and I'll be stuck all by myself all day. I can't spend a fortune on a charter so it will have to be something really inexpensive.

Please, someone put me onto something that is better than sitting around in a hotel room all day by myself ...

Thanks in advance,

Swampy :)

Conch Republic and Florida Keys Dive Center are there and both are good operations from my experience with each of them. Not much shore diving to be found in the Keys. The only place I found is a few miles south of there in Founders Park on Plantation Key off the beach on the bay side. Found it researching my last trip but never checked it out in person. You would do better to ask this question in the Florida Diving section.

Hi Swampy,
I assumed you mis-keyed and meant Tavernier on Key Largo. So I changed the spelling in the thread title accordingly. Hope I didn’t offend by doing so.
Let me know if that’s not the place you meant.
k

Definitely stop in at the Conch Republic Divers located in the Tavernier Marina. Awesome operation. They'll work with ya!!!
Enjoy!!!

Definitely stop in at the Conch Republic Divers located in the Tavernier Marina. Awesome operation. They'll work with ya!!!
Enjoy!!!

+1 for Conch Republic

Yes, Conch Republic.

You can snorkel at John Pennekamp park, they have two smallish beaches, or what passes for a beach in Key Largo.

CR they rock fast boat, good sites, great shop, prices not cheap but worth it GREAT STAFF!

One weekend I stayed at one of those older hotels on the bay side a little
north of Tavernier. I think it may have been the Pelican or Seafarer they were
right next to one another. The morning I was suppose to do a charter dive I pulled
a muscle and decided to not do the charter. I ended up feeling a bit better by mid
morning and geared up and went for a dive from the very small beach at the hotel.
It was mostly sea grass with some fish. On a return trip I actually kayaked the area
and there was a submerged sailboat a bit further out but that may have been removed.
It's mostly sand and not much structure if any but it was a dive. Remember to tow a dive
flag if snorkeling outside of a designated swim area !

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom