Tax write off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robert Renfrow

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I searched through the threads and read some really old post on the topic and looking for updated advice here in the US. I recently became a dive master last year and am active on a dive boat, on top of that I run a YouTube channel “active Duty outdoors” where I make diving content (fully monitized). I recently serviced my gear ($400) and purchased a drysuit ($3100) and am finishing my AN/DP coarse ($1800), can any of this be written off? Either for being a dive profession or for my YouTube channel? I won’t even ask about my trip to the Red Sea last year… I know the best advice is from a tax pro but thought some here might have recent experience. Thank you for your thoughts and time.

Rob

talk to an accountant. at some point if all you do is post losses the IRS declares it a hobby

When I was teaching I formed a separate LLC which meant a separate tax filing then used a Quickbooks program to track expenses, profits, etc. When starting a new dive professional business, I don't think it's a red flag at all that you would have a lot of upfront equipment and training business expenses that exceed any profits.

Once you have the LLC then have a completely separate bank account, company credit card, etc......and keep EVERYTHING separated from your personal assets and finances.

Where it can get dicey is if you are writing off trips..... or commingling business and personal expenses.

Back
Top Bottom