TDI cert card costs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AbyssalPlains

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is it common practice for TDI instructors to charge their students separately for the c-cards? I recently finished 3 TDI classes and my instructor is going to charge me $30 per card in addition to the course fee. His fee also didn't include the materials. This practice really irritates me and I'm wondering if TDI has any standards about their cost structure in their classes or, at the very least, I would like to know how they can rationalize such an extremely high cost for a piece of plastic that doesn't even involve any paperwork. All it takes is a few mouse clicks to order the cards.

TDI does not cover cost structure in the standards (nor does any other agency I'm aware of). Business practices are kept out of standards, which usually deal with the instructional/educational aspect of the course. Agencies in general try to stay out of business disputes unless there's some gross ethics violations.

Some instructors include materials and c-card fees in their course fee, others tack it on later. One reason some do not include it is because certification is not guaranteed. The course fee pays for just that: the course. If you earn certification, then you pay the certification fee. Not saying I necessarily agree with it, just explaining the way some instructors do it.

Why $30 for a "piece of plastic?" Well, a good portion of that goes to TDI. While it may take a minimal amount of time and effort for the instructor to order the cards, they are not free. TDI charges instructors for the cards (as does every other agency).

Should you have been told about these fees up front? Absolutely. When I teach a course, I am very specific about what the course fee includes and what it doesn't include.

Is it common practice for TDI instructors to charge their students separately for the c-cards?

Hi there: Technical Diving International, like every other major agency, neither mandates the price our instructors and training facilities charge for courses, nor do we mandate that prices have to include cost of C cards, manuals and other support materials. We do require students to have required materials supplied to them before classroom sessions begin and we do require instructors to register students who successfully complete the required skills and written knowledge review in a timely manner.

Different instructors follow different guidelines. For example, staff instructors (those of us who work here at HQ) do conform approximately to a suggested retail price for the courses we teach (which is higher than the average street price) but we are not told what those prices should include. Therefore some of us include the cost of books and cards in our course fees and some do not.

All that said, it is usual practice for course costs to be discussed prior to signing up students for a class since there are some variables that participants may be asked to pay for in certain circumstances. For example, travel costs, accommodations, charter fee, breathing gas and so on for the instructor.

Again, using staff instructors as an example, if one of us is asked to run an diver level or instructor program out of State, the course fees, diving expenses and all travel and living expenses for us during the course are usually covered, and a set price arrived at before the course is scheduled.

My first suggestion is for you to discuss your feelings honestly and openly with your instructor. He or she may be able to explain their pricing structure in a way that helps all this make sense to you. I am sure this is the best possible resolution.

If you feel you have not been dealt with fairly, please contact me off-line via email with full details of your concerns and a copy of any agreement you entered into with your instructor and I will have our training and customer services department review things for you.

Thanks and I hope this helps clear things up.

Now go diving!:D

Thank you very much for detailing the procedure to me. This is definitely helpful. And yes, I will go diving! :D

Well there is a fee the instructors have to pay for the card, and i think $ 30 is about right - even when you do it over the internet. I remember when I was taking my course I had to pay it, but I knew upfront how much would be the total cost.
When I teach people (not a TDI course) I always include all the fees for books, certificates etc. into the price of a course. That way it's very clear from the beginning what people are paying for the total course and there are no additional fees.

Steve covered things very well. All fees and prices should be discussed up front. I have a form that I use that lists the prices for my classes as well as any extras (i.e. quarry fees, extra time, etc.). The student signs it prior to starting the course. This way they are informed of what is included/excluded in the course. I include student materials and certification fees as part of my prices.

On a similar note, the last dive store I worked at said that they have to sell materials separately due to sales tax on materials and no sales tax on services (i.e. instruction). I don't know if this is true or not, but it wouldn't surprise me in Illinois.

The cost to the agency is more than a piece of plastic. I am very happy with my dealings with TDI and they are worth every penny of the cert fee they charge. TDI keeps good records for their instructors to access should you lose that piece of plastic.

This is also another way of instructors keeping their costs down, but getting you in the end. You see that instructor x costs $350 for the course and instructor y costs $275. But instructor y has those "hidden costs" and you end up paying more. There are several threads on here lately about this happening.
When I took my classes with Gr8LakesWreckDvr, I knew what it was going to cost me. It was a long email but it left nothing uncovered.

BTW Rick, welcome to the board and where's my cards? :D

This is also another way of instructors keeping their costs down, but getting you in the end. You see that instructor x costs $350 for the course and instructor y costs $275. But instructor y has those "hidden costs" and you end up paying more. There are several threads on here lately about this happening.
When I took my classes with Gr8LakesWreckDvr, I knew what it was going to cost me. It was a long email but it left nothing uncovered.

BTW Rick, welcome to the board and where's my cards? :D

Hi Wally, I spoke with TDI HQ the other day and the cards are in the mail to me. I expect to see them within the next few days. As soon as I get them, I'll send them out to you guys (no extra charge :wink:

Back
Top Bottom