TDI Newsletter Sport VS. Tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They may not be. They just have their tanks marked differently. Bumper Sticker store ran out of nitrox. So they subbed some from the feed store. Custom mix- corn, oats, and alfalfa with just a hint of helium (written in with sharpie). :shocked2:

I prefer the ol white duct tape.

If I see a semblance of an Instructor kneeling in the sand demonstrating valve drill I'll disown you.

Too many dive agencies are playing with the dumbest common denominators. Like PADI DSAT "instructors" teaching students "tech 50" with 6 deco dives flying a computer with ZERO knowledge of their gas consumption, no slate and no idea. These aren't the standards or "ease" you should promote and I see it on EVERY boat I charter. Don't be part of the problem.

You're better than that. Act like it.

I wrote this article and feel somewhat compelled to provide answers to some of the questions raised by readers; however, I am baffled by the OP's original post. Those who read and post in this area know that our agency spearheaded the creation of this area in order to facilitate open communications between the "executive team" at headquarters and our associate membership (fellow divers) and our professional me members (facility owners, instructors and instructor-trainers). We believe it has worked well over the years.

Brian asked me personally to take a look at this thread (Brian is Brian Carney, our president), and I wish it were possible to answer the original question but I do not know what it is... and I am NOT trying to be cute or confrontational.

Here are some guidelines we used when the article was conceived and written.

Its purpose was to help demystify tech diving; which has been TDI's raison d'être since our formation in 1994. We wanted also to float out the idea that there is more to being a tech diver than throwing on a set of twins and strapping on gear until you look like the poster boy or girl for ACME Dive Gear Manufacturer.

In fact, although many of our core instructors (myself included) cut our teeth on the Traditional North Florida Cave-Diver's Rig (which more and more 'newcomers to the tech arena call DIR or Hogarthian) the standard backplate, long hose, bungeed back-up second stage kit configuration has never been promoted to the exclusion of all other options... for example, like many of my peers, I teach our OC programs in classic sidemount configuration INCLUDING Intro-to-Tech.

The only "kit configuration guidelines" the agency has every promoted in past articles have been those originally taught to early cave and deep wreck divers: Kit should be Serviced, Simple, Shared, Streamlined, and Suitable.

The article was also intended to let sport divers know that our Intro-to-Tech program does not REQUIRE them to go out and purchase a bunch of kit... the course certainly was designed to help divers know about kit configuration options and the importance of the basic mental and physical skills required to safely plan and execute tech dives.

Like many high-risk endeavors, tech diving is 40 percent physical, 90 percent pyscological, and 35 percent about equipment... :)

There was nothing in the article that suggested training dives be conducted with the group on its collective knees and I do not think we have dumbed anything down; and we do not promote that understanding ascent behavior and the workings of decompression algorithms be ignored. In fact, we have published articles putting forward the concept of deco on the fly in contingency planning (I written several articles on that particular concept, made it the topic of several dive show presentations and included it in my most reent book WITHOUT ANY sanction or wrist slapping from the guys who "sign the checks" at TDI.

So unless the OP has some criticism of the Intro-to-Tech program and feels that IT is at fault, I am not sure what to say.

If that's the case, then please let me know and I will gladly post why the agency, our training advisory panel, et al feel otherwise.

When TDI started to teach "punters" that tech diving could be fun, was not rocket science, and the associated risks could be managed by following some simple guidelines, we were roundly criticized by several factions within the dive industry. Time has proved our philosophy was a sound one because several of those critics went on to produce knock-offs of our original programs... evidence teaching nitrox diving to run of the mill recreational divers and taking the mystery out of diving with helium.

We have never thought pulling aside the curtain and showing divers that technical diving is a possibility is dumbing things down.

Anyway, we are glad that so many of you read our eNewsletter. If you would like to be added to the distribution list please visit our website International Training :: Home :: :: English and sign up.

Thanks

Steve Lewis
Director Marketing Corporate Communications SDI, TDI, ERDI
Instructor-Training Member #6

Last edited:
Thanks Steve for the response. I was also confused by the original post. What I was not confused about at all is TDI's tech program and hoe it is taught by the instructors I know. Not many granted but I've always been impressed by the forward thinking of the agency. I don't necessarily agree with every policy but that's my thing and not a reflection on the agency itself. I'm about to take an SDI/TDI course (solo)with my gf. I will be calling the instructor today. This along with the hog regulator tech course are definitely firsts in the industry and clearly show the progressive thinking and acceptance of some realities in diving that others are choosing to ignore.

It is a balancing act to try and support the industry itself in the forms of mfg's and dive shops (I really hate the term dive center)and at the same time meet the needs of the real core of the industry. That being the individual diver themselves. Because without the diver there is no dive industry. Antiquated ideas as to training and business practices are what is really killing the dive industry. Were it not for the dive shop affiliation requirement I might have looked at SDI/TDI as a viable option for myself in some areas to teach.

The tone of the op was mystifying. I read the article when I got it in my inbox and saw nothing condescending in it. Simplified explanations that are easily understood by the general public yes. But hardly what I'd called dumbed down. I can show you some really dumbed down stuff from other sources but we won't go there.

There are a number of entities that look at tech diving as voodoo still and in some places are firmly against it. I'm a very basic tech diver with not a lot of experience but what I have I really enjoy and feel it makes me a better ow instructor. So anything that takes away some of the mystery and puts a positive light on the area is a good thing IMO. Thanks for the article and thanks for all you have done for the dive community in general. Hope to see you at DEMA. Going to be an interesting time for a number of reasons......

Sent from my BlackBerry 9550 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom