Teaching in the metric system to American kids

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

otterdive

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I learned to dive in Thailand under the metric system. I also became a Divemaster, and an Instructor there... also using the metric system exclusively. Even as an American, I found it much easier to dive, and teach diving using the metric system instead on the Imperial System.

I'll be teaching this summer for a children's camp in America. I'm considering teaching the kids using the metric system. I feel that learning would be much easier, and most of the kids will probably not dive locally anyway once they are certified. They are much more likely to dive on holidays, and in places where the metric system is used anyway.

Any thoughts from the other instructors on the board?

Where are they likely to dive using the metric system? I'm not a world traveler, the places that are dominated by US travelers use PSI and fsw.

Along the same lines, where are you going to get a bunch of metric SPG's for the camp kids to use?

I'm all for the metric system (background in science and all), but I think you're in for an uphill battle.

Other than diving around the USA, I'm really only familiar with Thailand. Metric system used exclusively there.

I'll be doing mainly DSD this summer, but I will offer PADI OWD. I may have one or two students over the summer. Metric gauges are available. I'm just considering metric ones for the odd couple of OWD courses I'm likely to do.

...Even as an American, I found it much easier to dive, and teach diving using the metric system instead on the Imperial System.
... I'll be teaching this summer for a children's camp in America. I'm considering teaching the kids using the metric system. I feel that learning would be much easier, and most of the kids will probably not dive locally anyway once they are certified. They are much more likely to dive on holidays, and in places where the metric system is used anyway.

I'm not an instructor, but; have lived in the States most of my life, and used both metric and imperial. I still do for my job, and both are easy. If you are training American kids in America, they will do fine with the Imperial system as that is what they most likely learned and understand. I'm curious as to what makes you think these kids are going to most likely travel overseas to dive?

I say go for it. Teach and use metrics. It's odd that while pretty much all the rest of the world uses metrics, the US just refuses to change. When I was a kid...many moons ago under Pres. Carter the teacher told us one day that every Wednesday (or whatever) would be metrics day. We were to learn about and start using the metric system because the US would be changing directly. Well, next Wednesday rolled around and I was censured when I asked where our metric lesson was; "We do not now nor have we ever engaged in the use or teaching of metrics," and that, as they say, was that.
Since being in Japan I've adapted to metrics and find it quite simple (not just the utilization of but the adaptation too). The military uses metrics, I believe...no? My friend from Austrailia endured and survived the changeover (about the time I was being censured). Seems to me that it's time for we Americans to give up the "My way is the only way; the right way" attitude and get in step with the rest of the world. Yes, we're special, yes, we're great...but No man is an island, nor is a county (except for Great Britain...and Madagascar....and, well, there are a lot of island nations, but you can see the point!)

I say teach them metrics and give the tykes a head start on progress, even if they live their whole lives without ever leaving the US (what a scary thought).

Last edited:
We all know that the metric system is much better than the imperial system,

but,

I wouldn't go to Thailand and expect students there to learn imperial because it's convenient for me.

I learned to dive in Thailand under the metric system. I also became a Divemaster, and an Instructor there... also using the metric system exclusively. Even as an American, I found it much easier to dive, and teach diving using the metric system instead on the Imperial System.

I'll be teaching this summer for a children's camp in America. I'm considering teaching the kids using the metric system. I feel that learning would be much easier, and most of the kids will probably not dive locally anyway once they are certified. They are much more likely to dive on holidays, and in places where the metric system is used anyway.

"Same same but different"! I am visiting family and will teach one of my oldest friends next week in Florida. As a BKK based instructor my SPG is metric, but my dive watch can switch to imperial for depth. To make things easy for my friend who lives in the US, I will teach his course using imperial as this is what he will most likely use. I think this will be less confusing as he will most likely buy an SPG using imperial. The hard part will be judging vis in imperial as opposed to metric. Although raised in the US, my diving has been similar to yours. Combine that with living in countries using metric for the last 7 years and perhaps you are like me in that I use metric underwater but imperial when driving. I seem to be able to judge distance better that way. I guess you get used to the system you were taught in. It should be that way for your students as well.

Fireflock has an excellent point RE: what system the SPGs will be in. You may want to use the same as the kids to make things easy and concentrate on more fun things :) You could just add a bit about metric as an extra just to let the kids know other systems are used. Show them the metric RDP for an example.

Use both. SCUBA is a great platform with which to develop familiarity with Metric for American students. I beleive most agencies in the States take this approach.

Other than diving around the USA, I'm really only familiar with Thailand. Metric system used exclusively there.

I'll be doing mainly DSD this summer, but I will offer PADI OWD. I may have one or two students over the summer. Metric gauges are available. I'm just considering metric ones for the odd couple of OWD courses I'm likely to do.
Same in Sharm El Sheikh and probably the rest of the red sea area.

The problem with teaching metric in the US would probably be gauges. I assume most gagues sold in the US is in PSI rather than BAR?
Personally I can work with feet pretty easy, fahrenheit I can usually ballpark fairly well (from experience), but when it comes to bar to psi (or opposite) i dont really like working that one out, 14,49 isnt really a very nice number to work with for me..
I know.. PSI=((Bar*1,5)*10) but still meters/3 or feet*3 is still less math :p

Use both. SCUBA is a great platform with which to develop familiarity with Metric for American students. I beleive most agencies in the States take this approach.
I do use both a lot in diving, but Im still based in metric and base-10 is just much easier for me, as well as the fact that BAR to ATM is so much easier than PSI :p

The instructor I assit with still teaches the imperial system up here in Canada and Cuba is the only place in the caribbean that I have been that used metric.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom