Tech 1 Limits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm doing GUE Tech 1 next Feb, quite looking forward to it... :)

I have to be honest, the T1+ rating is probably something I would not do - just way to inconvenient. Whilst I may be naive - if you have learnt the mechanics of doing a gas switch properly with one deco gas then it doesn't seem that much of a stretch to apply the same principles to dealing with two gasses, whether they are bottom stage or two deco gasses. It seems somewhat limited to insist that a T1+ diver only takes a bottom stage as their second tank when the skill set is essentially the same, irrespective of what the tank contains.

Maybe I'll change my mind after Feb 2010??? :)

Well many fatalties have occurred (mostly in the past paired with crummy marking standards) due to switching and/or breathing the wrong gas at depth. So while it seems that 2 stages "isn't any more complicated than 1" accident analysis suggests that this is not the case.

The Tech1 standards with GUE (and the Tech2 and Tech2+ standards with UTD) are intended to keep this fatal opportunity further away from beginning tech divers. At some point you are obviously correct, 2 bottles isn't that big a deal. But it takes awhile to get to that point as both agencies attempt to recognize.

The Tech1 standards with GUE (and the Tech2 and Tech2+ standards with UTD) are intended to keep this fatal opportunity further away from beginning tech divers. At some point you are obviously correct, 2 bottles isn't that big a deal. But it takes awhile to get to that point as both agencies attempt to recognize.

Indeed, certainly no criticism was intended. For us it's simply that the logistics of going for T1+ make it a lot less achievable than building experience and applying solid gas switching principles "at some stage".

A few years down the line, I'd be curious to see how T1+ upgrades are geographically distributed - my guess is that people who live near a T1 instructor are way more likely to pursue this.

Being mentored more experienced divers is always an option...

Being mentored more experienced divers is always an option...

This is what I have traditionally seen in our area. Close to every diver that I have dived with, had eventually moved to two bottles (50%/stage or 50%/O2), before moving on from GUE Tech 1 to Tech 2 (or the UTD Trimix). Adding a second bottle, particularity O2, definitely adds the potential for a fatal mistake when switching gases. IMO with experience, an understanding of the dangers & protocols, and the help of a mentor a diver can safely make the move to two bottles.

For us, because we have GUE Instructors come to the area on a regular basis (and we have two local UTD Instructors) the GUE Tech 1+ (and the UTD Tech 2) will eliminate the need for the transition using local mentors only. I definitely see this as a step forward.

A few years down the line, I'd be curious to see how T1+ upgrades are geographically distributed - my guess is that people who live near a T1 instructor are way more likely to pursue this.

For such a short "class" to upgrade you're probably right. Is Gideon not that close to you?

Liam is nearest, but it's still a four hour flight that costs $500.

I am indeed fortunate to have a Tech 2 instuctor (Dean Marshall) 3 miles from my house as well as the best vis and diving in CONTUS...Sorry to rub all that in. Well actually no I am not...:D

I am indeed fortunate to have a Tech 2 instuctor (Dean Marshall) 3 miles from my house as well as the best vis and diving in CONTUS...Sorry to rub all that in. Well actually no I am not...:D

It's ok, I'm not jealous..... I've got the wreck of a 200m long Russian cruise liner in just 32m of water not too far away. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom