Tech Diver with the 5thd-X team

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

onfloat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My hats off to the 5thd-X team, wow. This is a class report for the Tech Diver course on Ohau from March 6 to March 10.

The get together dive.
5 Mar 2006

I met Joe Talavera and Chris Cali at the airport about 1230 and headed strait to Island divers to pick up 3 sets of doubles and confirm our 1600 departure from the Keohele Boat ramp. There was a slight delay getting into the room, so it was decided to go get some lunch. On the way back from lunch we had to stop and swap vehicles. All gear was loaded into the orange truck of shame and we headed directly into the lodge to drop gear. I went and picked my equipment and put gas in the vehicle. Picked up Joe and Chris from the lodge and headed directly to the boat ramp. We arrived promptly at 1620, oops. There we met up with Jo, loaded the boat and headed for Portlock. Once we arrived on site we all did back rolls one by one into the water. After entry we Ok’d the team and descended. I have never actually done a dive on this side of the island. The topography was exciting and doing a dive late in the afternoon provided some pretty cool lighting effects. We swam into a large swim through and saw a 6ft white tip shark that appeared to be pregnant. We exited the swim thru and headed to the right along the wall. Jo showed us a couple of holes in the wall that had some interesting sites. We reached 45 min and it was time to ascend. On the surface we waited for the boat to pick us up and headed back to the boat ramp. After the dive we went to The Shack for dinner and conversation.

Day 1
I picked up Joe and Chris, stopped by BK on the way and headed to the dive shop to meet Jo and Matt. Once there we unloaded the tanks from the previous days dive and headed up to the pool deck for our first lecture. After a short discussion on the finer techniques of using a reel, it was time to head for the boat. One more stop by BK and off we went. We rendezvoused at the Ko Olina boat harbor and loaded our gear. Joe laid out the rules of the game. We were all in double AL80’s carrying a slung AL40. These were to be shallow dives in 40 feet of water. We did the dives right off of Electric Beach. The 1st was to just shake out the team and be sure we were on the same page. Chris and I hit the water first. I was carrying the reel and while trying to clip it off to my butt ring I released the wrong end of the bolt snap and down the reel went, I told Chris that we would be performing a recovery shortly after descent. So down we went, I grabbed the reel and decided to attach it to my left d-ring instead of my butt. We then went in search of a suitable spot to attach the up line. Chris shot the bag tied off the line and we immediately started our S-drills and our Valve drills. We did a 6 minute ascent to the surface and then discussed the next dive with Joe. Chris was volunteered to lead the dive so he would be operating the reel 1st. We dropped down and he quickly tied the primary and secondary ties, we were off, my light was dead. I guess I was attached to it since I just decided to leave the light on my left hand and play with the switch while we went. Later it was suggested that I should have stowed it and pulled out one of my back-up lights….duh!!! Chris had a valve failure and we went through the process. Shortly there after it we reached our turn pressure and turned back. At this point it was time for me to have a post failure. I couldn’t tell where it was coming from, I should have listened closer!! I immediately went to shut down my right post, no joy, isolator, no joy, Chris moves in to help, after some confusion I end up on a dead primary, damn…..Turn back on the right post, isolator is still off. I’m out of air, I signal Chris. We continue to wind the reel, (focus.) When we reach the ascent line we begin the agreed ascent and do our stops and get back on the boat. Next dive, it’s my turn to lead and handle the reel. My light is now working. We drop down and I start to tie in, but it’s just ain’t going that smooth. I become focused on getting that damn thing tied. Once I get it done I move on to the secondary and then I’m off. At one point Chris starts waving his light to get my attention and slow my butt down. Chris now has a left post failure, we determine it’s not fixable and turn the dive, this time leaving the reel in place. Chris goes OOA, shortly there after I lose my mask. Chris takes me back to the ascent line and we perform our ascent. We now go back to get the reel. On the ascent we learn the importance of a flow check since we created a self induced failure.

Day 2
We headed back to Ko Olina and back on the ¾ Time for our 2nd day of training. Today we headed a little north of electric beach to a spot about 30 feet in depth. It was really flat and just little clumps of vegetation, it reminded me of a cow pasture. The day started with a warm-up dive. I once again paired off with Chris Cali. We did some more line laying drills and experienced manifold failures, out of gas drills. It was quite an experience to do a gas switch with one diver with out a mask. After helping Chris with his gas switch I failed to help him stow his long hose and it magically attached itself to my manifold. I noticed it at the 10ft mark on our ascent and it was too late. At one point Chris and I had an out of gas drill and that was it. Chris and I kept expecting more to happen and couldn’t believe how nothing happening could be as nerve racking as something going wrong. It was time to go back for more lecture and video review.

Day 3
An early start today. Again we loaded our gear on the ¾ Time and this time we were headed to the Mahi. The Mahi is an old navy cable layer. It is not suited to penetration, but it was a good spot to practice more skills and do a drifting ascent. Today I was paired up with Matt. Our 1st dive was a thirds dive and we started from the bow and started our way back to the stern. I looked into one of the hatches and it looked like a deep menacing hole. It was corroded and crumbling. On the 2nd dive Joe demonstrated his ninja skills and was able to stop my smb from reaching the surface. Something I failed to notice, even though I had knots tied every 10 ft on my line. All I could think is I don’t remember tying only 1 knot for 60 ft. about 1 minute and a half later my spool suddenly shot up and was gone. At this point Matt deployed his SMB and we were on the surface shortly there after. Once we were back in the boat it was time to head back and do the video review. The biggest problem of the day was my truck decided it no longer wanted to co-operate. It dies right as we start to leave the dive shop. So we have to transfer all the tanks (all the sets of doubles) loaded in my truck to another truck so we can make it to the boat on time. Matt, being the stand-up guy he is allows me to use his blazer for the remainder of the class, because I don’t have the time to fix it until the class is over. (Which I did!! Dang old fuel line!!)

Day 4
Our 1st Helium dive. It was decided we would do it on the Corsair. We did our plan for a 120 ft dive. Figured our rock bottom and calculated the required amount of deco gas.
We departed the Keohele Boat ramp on the Honey Ann, the same boat from Sunday. We had 25/25 for back gas and 50% in our deco bottles. Again the first dive was done in two teams and I was paired with Jo. We were the 2nd team to descend. Wow, so many fish!! As Jo and I were examining a large octopus, I had a manifold failure, a simple right post fixable. We continued the dive. I went out of gas a few minutes later. Jo and I executed a gas share and headed for the up line. The time for our gas switch and some how my deco bottle was gone!!! It took me a couple of times of reaching to figure it out. (Joe and his ninja skills) Jo and I adjusted our ascent then continued to the surface. Our second dive was to be a drifting ascent, all usable dive with the entire group. It was a chance to really take in the corsair and the field behind it. I learned that I need to practice a little more with the smb. Once back on the surface the boat was there to promptly pick us up, good thing since the surface was a little rough. It was time for more lecture and the video review.

Day 5
Our experience dive. The plan was set, a 150ft dive on 21/35 with 50% for our drifting deco. We headed to an area right out of the Ko Olina harbor that has been begging to be explored. Once again we were on the ¾ Time. Jo and Chris would be the team to lead the dive. Matt and I would run the deco. I was to be the deco captain. We dropped in a brief stop at 20 ft to ok the team and we were off. As we approached the 140 ft mark the ledge below us became apparent. What an awesome sight, I could hear the howling through the water. As we crept over the edge of the cliff the blue was almost surreal. It did remind me of Scripps Canyon, only the water was blue and the particulate floating in the water was smaller. Matt spotted a Galapagos shark as the rest of us were watching Joe in a swim through. All too soon it was time to begin our ascent. The team started up making our planned stops. We made our gas switch and continued our deco. We broke the surface right on time; as we did the boat was right there to pick us up. That was one great dive.

Overall I was quite pleased with this course. It made me realize that there are quite few options when something goes wrong, but there are some definite wrong choices. It really boils down to slowing down and thinking. After being here in Hawaii for the last year, it also makes me realize that just because you have the training, if you don’t practice and exercise what you have learned the potential for a mistake increases exponentially. Just as in fundamentals the video review provides the proof. It was treated as a great analysis tool, finding out why decisions were made and what other options were available.

I’m glad to see that Island Divers here on Oahu is taking the next step and elevating tech diving here. Jo and Matt, of Island Divers are putting a lot of time and energy to see that it really takes off here and I’m looking forward to being part of the team.

Congratulations on Finishing! So have you found a team on Oahu to dive with yet?

Aloha, Tim

I just wanted to add a few things to the each day:

Sunday (day before class) Joakim gets huge props for putting this dive together at the last minute. This was an amzing wall dive VERY reminiscent of The Molokini back wall, the only difference is that this wall is riddled with cool swim-ins and caverns. There we so many Turtles on this dive that we eventually stopped counting. I really enjoyed this dive. Although the vis was exceptional (100+) and the surge was very mild the surface was another story, big waves rocked and rolled us as I pondered how lovely getting on the boat would be. It wasn't too bad but it wasn't to pretty either We eventually all got on board without incident and made our way back. After loading up we went out for some dinner and laughs and then Tom drove Joe and I back to the Marine base where we would be staying for the duration of the class. I loved when we would get to the security gate at the guards would say "have a nice evening gunny" to Tom.

Day 1
Early bell of 6:15 and we were off and running for our first 15 hour day We made our way to Hikam Airforce Base where the dive shop is located. Tom summed the day up very well but just to add a couple things I would say that this site (Electric Beach)was an excellent choice for the first day...lots of tie offs to choose from. As Tom said I shot the bag and tied off to dead coral head. I made sure that there was another couple of strong tie offs near by because I knew they would serve as the primary and secondary tie locations...just thinking ahead We went back up to 20' and did our drills without any problems, did a 6 minute ascent and then waited for team 2 to do the same thing we just did. The day went off without a hitch and we headed back to the shop/base for bad Pizza and a great lecture.

Day 2
This dive site was uh..not the best choice. Tom described it perfectly as a "cow pasture" Very boring and not many tie locations. We eventually found a couple decent tie off's and got down to business. We ran the line quite ways and came very close to pretty cool drop off but that's when I became maskless and then OOA so we never did quite see it. When we went back to clean up our line I got a much better view. Back to the the shop/base for more lecture and more bad food.

Day 3
YES! The Mahi!! I was paired with Joakim and he and I hit the water first. Armed with 32% back gas and 50% deco gas we descended down on this beauty and I was just simply stoked!! There were fish all over it! Off just West of the wreck was a squadron of 8 Spotted Eagle Rays just sorta hovering and lightly flapping their wings in unison! Simply incredible!! We were cruising on top of the deck checking out the various openings and protrusions. We got a chance to go through a doorway on the deck (swimthrough) and then look down in to an opening that went down 3 floors or so. Jo was leading and eventually he wanted to jump off the wreck and check out a cluster of some pipes on the east side. I was like, "ok let's jump off this beautiful wreck and look at some ugly pipes" Apparently those pipes house some cool eels and stuff but that jump was a source of humor for the rest of the week. Jo and I sorted out a couple failures, made our way back to the up line did our switch and I ran us through our deco. When we surfaced Joe T said "like buttah" and that made my day. That night we did our video review at The Outback Steakhouse in Waikiki and let me tell you...that was a real treat after all the junk food we had been eating up to that point. Very good "hump day".

Day 4
The Corsair. Matt and I teamed up for this 25/25 dive with 50% slung and ready to go. This site was so damn cool I sit here now painfully wishing I was back. I was stunned at how many fish were down on this wreck! There were so many fish that I could barley see matt from the other side. I hovered above the cockpit and just took it all in. Failure began at the wing as we were looking at a huge Octopus that calls a hole in the wing home. Sudeny Matt is mask-less so I begin to get him all taken care of but in the middle of that his left post goes off. He doesn't respond to it so I "go in the kitchen" and shut it off. The bubbles immediately stop so I give it another twist on but they come back. Since Matt was maskless I tap him on the left shoulder and in a case of brain fart I give him the touch contact ok signal. What I was tryign to say was "Hey Matt everything is under controll" but what it conveyed to him was that there was no problem anymore. That's why I'm sure he was surprised when I gave him my primary before we headed back to the line. My bad.

After both teams simulator dives were complete we had about another 15 minute dive as a group where we enjoyed this awesome site and got a chance to take it all in. Matt and Joe got some great pictures and footage! After circling the plane a few times Matt makes a signal to jump off the wreck and head out to the barren sand flats I say to myself "not again" but I'm a trooper and the dive was all usable with a live boat so what the heck. The tour through the sand didn't offer much but the explorer spirit was there nonetheless. Our deco went great but at the 10' stop we knew the already bad surface conditions had got even worse we. When we surfaced it was victory at sea and getting on the boat was a real hoot let me tell you!

Off to the base for lectures and video review.

Day 5
Day 5 went just aTom described it. The dive was actually 160' max with a 150' average for 15 minutes. Jo and I were teamed up. In addition to the amazing wall Jo and I found this odd looking round thing about 15 yards before the wall. It was about 4' in it was a big old Moray that calls it home...very cool. The deco was bitter sweet. On one hand the deco was going perfectly but on the other hand I knew this was the end of the diving for me

We made a stop at Chillis for some lunch and then headed back to the base for a final lecture and debriefs. After the debriefs Tom and I got to work on the exam and completed it a couple hours latter. Just like that class was over.

Although I had originally planned to take this course with my regular dive buddies (Jason, Dan, Mel and Ryan) a series of events and scheduling conflict would not allow it. This opportunity came to me via Joe at the very last minute and I went for it. I'm very glad I did. The class was outstanding and well worth the time and effort.

I am now a "baby tech diver" an "infant tech diver". I am certainly not a "tech diver". That title is reserved for people that have been doing it for very long time. I have only been approved to begin the journey and I have a very very long way to go.

onfloat:
Thanks, it looks like I will be diving with Jo and Matt from Island Divers quite a bit. They have started a group, Hawaii Technical Divers (HaTeD). I'm still the only one in a dry suit though.

Wonderful! - I'm glad you found a group to dive with. Looks like I'll be abandoning my ds for a bit as I am borrowing a reg for a bit which only has 3lp outlets... back to my 3mil - brrrr....

Chris, I love your report, because it shows that you could be in this intense class situation and still be enjoying the wonders of the underwater settings you found yourself in.

I can't imagine how much more fun it would be to do something like that class where you were, instead of where I am . . .

I really looking forward to meeting Joe in April.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom