Tech diving cardiologists don't grow on trees +

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amazz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
When you find one, you have to grab him. The web isn't the best place to share personal medical information. But it helped me tremendously, so I'll share my very dive related medical story in case it can help others.

I'm a good diver. I'm a safe diver. I'm a smart diver. I'm an educated person. I also work as a divemaster on weekends at Jupiter Dive Center. I have suffered from skin bends over the years. I have also had more serious pulmonary issues and visual disturbances after diving. I regularly dive rather deep profiles of 70-90 ft for 45 minutes and sling up to 40 tanks after diving. I have had many unexpected DCS hits over the years and never went to the chamber because everything was pretty much resolved over several hours. Stupid, but let's not go there. I started researching PFO in December 2007 and was pretty much convinced there had to be a relation there. Finally after a more serious hit in May (still didn't go to the chamber) I decided to proceed and try to get an answer. I started with my primary care physician which was a total mistake and waste of time. He's not a diver and really didn't understand a thing I was trying to tell him. After a quick phone call, I discovered that Dr. Doug Ebersole, Cardiologist, tech diver, rebreather instructor, SB member, accepted my insurance. I had my Red Sea trip coming so I scheduled my exam with him right after I got back. I stayed shallow with Nitrox on the trip. I had no issues in Egypt.

On July 7, I saw Doug Ebersole and he also did a TTE with bubble contrast. He saw an atrial septal aneurysm and bubble transfer either through a PFO or other atrial septal defect. He recommended that I get it repaired or not dive again. He suggested the closure for July 16 so I didn't have any time to chicken out. It wasn't like he said you could get this fixed. It was more like, the sooner you fix this, the sooner you can dive again. That's my kind of Dr.

Oh boy. I dive with sharks and pick up snakes. I have no fears about anything. Well let me tell you that I met my first demon of my life. I was terrified. Two days before the procedure, I was basically a bitch to live with. Chuck couldn't do anything right. Part was his fault and part was me being a total train wreck. I knew Doug would go through femoral veins for the procedure and that it would be pretty much "routine." There was nothing about this that would be routine for me. I have never been sick before so this was absolutely terrifying for me. I was a wreck.

The day of the procedure I took Chuck and my dear friend Bobbi, a nurse anesthetist and tech diver. I discovered that my greatest fear was being aware during the procedure. I wasn't shy about voicing my terror and Bobbi also looked after me. Thankfully, the catheter procedure wasn't started until I was totally "asleep" I think I was on a heavy dose of versed and don't remember anything. I remember Dr. Ebersole telling me that he was finished and me saying thank you for not making me aware. Hey, you don't get a medal for being brave so I had nobody to impress. I stayed overnight at Lakeland Regional Hospital and was sprung around 1pm the next day.

The results: I had an atrial septal aneurysm which is a floppy atrial wall and small atrial septal defect, which was a hole. I had some bubbles flowing to the wrong places. Dr. Ebersole used a 25 mm Amplatzer Septal Occluder to patch the entire thing. I took a nice 3 mile run today, just a week after my procedure. I feel great. Unfortunately, I can't dive for three months.

I feel very lucky about not being seriously injured while diving. I'm not sure how I dodged that bullet. I wonder how brain damaged I am from those weird visual auras. Ha Ha.

I got checked because I had multiple unexplained DCS hits when my computer showed that I should be fine. I was the one who had problems on trips when everybody else was fine.

People have asked me how I could ignore DCS symptoms and keep diving. It's not that simple. I felt I was able to manage it and hit a lot of dead ends over the years trying to get answers. I have thought about this a lot and I always knew I was getting bent. I didn't just sit back and wrecklessly put myself in danger.

I made many calls to DAN and felt it to be a waste of time. Yeah, I probably got unlucky and talked to the wrong guy each time. Yes, I purchase DAN insurance every year and will continue to do so. But I dealt with some ineffective people on the phone at DAN at least a half a dozen times. I remember my first case of skin bends. The guy at DAN did his best to convince me I had sea lice. Another time I was told that extreme fatigue was too non-specific to be considered a DCS symptom and that diving as an activity is tiring anyway. Christ, I was explaining the kind of fatigue where I could barely get to the couch before collapsing. Later, I was told that my type of DCS symptoms were not consistent with the PFO/DCS relationship. I know DAN can't diagnose you over the phone and they did refer me to my primary care physician. It was never suggested that I go to the chamber in the 1/2 dozen or so calls I made to DAN. Make an appointment with your primary Dr. they said. I just always got the feeling that DAN was trying to talk me out of feeling like I had DCS. I knew better and just dealt with it.

I finally made an appointment with my primary Dr. He basically told me that if I was really bent I would have ended up in the chamber. Well to end up in the chamber, one basically has to go to the chamber, right?? I never went. Don't expect a Dr. to understand what you are talking about unless he/she is a diver. They don't learn anything about this in med school. My Dr. didn't get it AT ALL!!! He told me I wasn't really getting bent. I guess they have this visual of a diver bending over in agony and that's what the "bends" is.

I also delayed taking action because I "heard" most doctors would tell you to stop diving and that insurance wouldn't pay to fix the problem. Finally, after a scarier episode in May, and talking with my friend Ellen (who is also a patient of Dr. Ebersole) I made an appointment to see him. In a 9 day period, I saw Dr. Ebersole, had the TTE with contrast, and had the defect closed. That was exactly one week ago and I'm a whole, healthy person.

I had countless episodes of what I knew were DCS symptoms. Some were mild, others were not. At worst, I would have the noticeable marbeling under the skin accompanied by painful burning in the lungs when inhaling and horrible coughing when exhaling. I felt "chamber ready" about a dozen times but was too wiped out to make a move. Chuck was always out cleaning gear in the pool and I just collapsed on the couch, not wanting to tell him and worry him. I always knew it would go away as it did in the past. My more severe skin bends were accompanied by visual disturbances, a wavy aura around the perimeter of my sight. It was like being in a tunnel with moving walls. This would start about an hour after surfacing and the skin issues would start about an hour after that. The last straw was May. I felt the typical burning in my left upper breast, accompanied by the weird vision, and lung burning. Over the next 30 minutes, I had a lump grow there about the size of a lemon. Over the next several hours, it gradually turned a nasty shade of purple, an obvious bruise. I don't know what the hell that was all about but it freaked me out. The lung pain and weird vision subsided over the next several hours so I didn't worry so much about dropping dead that night. The lump went down considerably the next day and the bruising was gone in about 10 days. During all of these episodes I never experienced vertigo. I was also told that the lack of vertigo meant that I must be dealing with something else besides DCS. What the hell? Everybody is different. Up to the very end, I even felt myself minimizing my symptoms to Dr. Ebersole. I have no idea why I did that. Maybe I was just so used to doing it. I feel great and will be diving in 2 months and 22 days, but who's counting?

Congrats for finally getting this taken care of and finding a doctor who could help you and who accepted your insurance. Even though I dont know you, I am thankful that you offered this information to me (as well as the rest of the board). It is interesting to read your symptoms and hear the story behind them as it brings a greater awareness to DCS, at least to me it does.

Good luck to you in your recovery and your next dive day. At least know you know that you will have another dive day. I cant wait to read that report once you get back in the water.

Good show Angie, I know there are many more like us out there diving. Get mild, unexplained symptoms and never think twice about it. Easy to put down to something else, and that helps the denial. Fixing these things has ramifications beyond diving: had an uncle die (slowly) from stroke, and I fell so happy to have minimized that getting me.

Even when you suspect you have a PFO, you can do like I did and dive nitrox, figuring that should cover you on longer dives. WRONG.

The PFO/DCS thing seems to be really starting to take off in diving medicine research, at least to the lay person searching for answers. When I looked several years ago, there were no searchable links to the cerebral issues I had and PFOs. Now there are several studies recently done.

P.S. The Oly 5050 I bought from you years ago is still chugging along nicely, though not in the water as much as it should be..................:shakehead:

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG! I can't believe you are the Oly guy. I forgot all about that. This world is so small it's creepy. You live near that "other" ocean, right? Take it easy.

OMG! I can't believe you are the Oly guy. I forgot all about that. This world is so small it's creepy. You live near that "other" ocean, right? Take it easy.

Angie, thanks for sharing..... Doug is da bomb... he closed up mine in Feb 08...

Angie, thanks for posting and sharing something so personal

Some random thoughts

I think many of us have experienced a minor hit and said, "Its _______ not DCS" - I "know" this to be the case, and will just leave it at that......

Not surprised about what you posted about your primary Dr., but am a little surprised about DAN - like you I have their plan, and will continue to purchase it, but your experience, w/ multiple personnel, is frankly disturbing

Like I PM'd you - get better quick and look forward to diving w/ you soon!

Angie:

Thanks for your kind words. Glad to hear you are doing so well (and you too, Tim!). Maybe we can go diving together soon -- after another 2 months and now 19 days (but, again, who's counting?)

Doug

I'm going insane. I didn't realize how much my life revolved around diving. Summertime I'm usually in the water 5 days a week, mostly playing from my boat. So I'm still looking for a new hobby. Chuck suggested house cleaning. Like that's ever going to happen. I discovered that taking Plavix and owning a 14 month old Dober Boy are definite contradictions. Like my ticker below?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom