Tech diving equipment for ladies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe that if you call and talk to Tobin at Deep Sea Supply, you will come away with a better understanding. Be ready to be taught about lift requirements. When I called with questions and tried steer the conversation towards what I thought I needed to know, I was not as successful as when I just let him teach(lecture) me. He definitely knows his stuff and will teach you what you need to learn but you have to let him drive the call.

When I got off the call, I had to digest what he had said and compare it with other things I had heard and my limited experience. In the end, his gear and his knowledge is boiled down to just what is required and since then everything I have heard by the most knowledgable sources are in complete agreement with what he told me in that first call and what he supplies to his customers. I will always remember him telling me to resist the urge to take a BP/W and try to compromise it back toward a jacket BCD. I see lots of manufacturers doing just that with padding, fabric, pockets and quick releases.

After I digested what he said and studied up some more I did have to call back and fill in the things I wasn't sure of. His setup instructions and videos are not as good as they could be, but I don't think his gear can be substantially improved on. I'm going to guess that you will end up in a short kydex plate with a 20 lb LCD wing.

My 5' wife is well suited to a steel HP80 tank as it is the right length to adjust for sitting on a bench with the tank supported while still being able to reach the valve over your shoulder.

If you really want to get into technical diving then you'll need a backplate and wings of different sizes depending on the size and number of tanks you want to use. You can adjust the backplate harness to fit any body size and shape, so don't worry about it. Stiff fins like Scubapros jets or Hollis F1 are a must.
I recommend you to start hitting the gym and doing some weightlifting, especially for the muscles on your back, shoulders and legs since you'll be carrying your body weight (or more) in gear.

...From seeing several back plate setups I am concerned that the width of the backplate will extend quite far past my frame in addition to it being a little long...

...I'm in NY and the only place I am aware of is Leisure Pro but they were not really all that eager/helpful when I went to try a few pairs of booties so I think I might be even less successful asking for help finding a wing that fits :(

Hi jessone, I don't think you'll have to worry about the width of the bp, so not to worry. No matter how skinny or small framed you are, that's just a harness adjustment. If you gained a hundred lbs, it wouldn't matter, unlike a jacket bc. The same bp will still fit you with some new, cheap webbing. Moderate weight fluctuations usually don't require any adjustments.

It's unfortunate about LeisurePro not being helpful, but I don't believe they sell bp's and wings anyway. Hopefully you have another dive shop near you that sells Deep Sea Supply, UTD or Halcyon.

BTW, regarding fins, if you're in a wetsuit with a single tank, you don't need heavy fins, and you just might like lighter fins with a similar shape to the jetfins with a deeper, more stable foot pocket. I got rid of my jetfins years ago and switched to the UTD Precision Neutral. They're awesome!

+1 on the HP steel 80, since they're short and I can sit with them properly, as I can sit well with an AL 63 as well, but less volume and the AL 63's won't fit into your future tech diving.

Last edited:
Hi Tbone1004,

Thank you for all the links and info. I was wondering why you prefer DSS to UTD is it just a personal preference thing or is there something else worthy of mentioning? Looks Like I will be giving Tobin a call as three separate people suggested that I do so :)

Also, I have tried sidemount (recreationally) and remember really liking it. Although I was using a borrowed rig which I remember being a little low in the back. I was still able to reach everything though, so perhaps I am overthinking this? I haven't done much sidemount diving since and unfortunately can't even remember what rig I was using :(

I'd go with DSS long before I go with anything from UTD personally and I know of several divers that are around 5'0" that use his short backplate with great success.

I think the only shop near you that MAY have a short DSS plate is Northeast Scuba Supply. If not, it is worth calling Tobin and talking to him, he'll be able to know over the phone whether it will fit or not.

If for whatever reason that plate is still too long, which would shock me, then this one should. I would still go to DSS first since it's better overall and gives you more options, but this one should fit.
Cave Adventurers - Cave Adventurers Harness, OxyCheq Wing and Ultra Lite Plate - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

now, if you want to go sidemount. then that may surprisingly be a bit more difficult because the rigs with sufficient lift are going to be too long for you. Not to say that they don't exist, but you are going to be somewhat limited due to the length of these units

Hi RayfromTX,

The more I learn the more I realize I know nothing so I very much appreciate the joke at the bottom of your post. I have no issues letting Tobin do his thing so thanks for the heads up on your experience :)

I believe that if you call and talk to Tobin at Deep Sea Supply, you will come away with a better understanding. Be ready to be taught about lift requirements. When I called with questions and tried steer the conversation towards what I thought I needed to know, I was not as successful as when I just let him teach(lecture) me. He definitely knows his stuff and will teach you what you need to learn but you have to let him drive the call.

When I got off the call, I had to digest what he had said and compare it with other things I had heard and my limited experience. In the end, his gear and his knowledge is boiled down to just what is required and since then everything I have heard by the most knowledgable sources are in complete agreement with what he told me in that first call and what he supplies to his customers. I will always remember him telling me to resist the urge to take a BP/W and try to compromise it back toward a jacket BCD. I see lots of manufacturers doing just that with padding, fabric, pockets and quick releases.

After I digested what he said and studied up some more I did have to call back and fill in the things I wasn't sure of. His setup instructions and videos are not as good as they could be, but I don't think his gear can be substantially improved on. I'm going to guess that you will end up in a short kydex plate with a 20 lb LCD wing.

My 5' wife is well suited to a steel HP80 tank as it is the right length to adjust for sitting on a bench with the tank supported while still being able to reach the valve over your shoulder.

Hi Ayisha,

Good to know regarding the width of the BP. I have been using Hollis F2 fins which I love! A friend recommended the F1s when I was in Komodo because they are very good in stronger currents but as they don't make them in a small foot pocket when I was looking I went with the F2s which are much lighter and have a diff design. I found them also to be good so I will probably stick with them if I can.

I didn't really think much about the steel tank since I rarely see them in SE Asia where I do most of my diving but that is also something to consider.

Hi jessone, I don't think you'll have to worry about the width of the bp, so not to worry. No matter how skinny or small framed you are, that's just a harness adjustment. If you gained a hundred lbs, it wouldn't matter, unlike a jacket bc. The same bp will still fit you with some new, cheap webbing. Moderate weight fluctuations usually don't require any adjustments.

It's unfortunate about LeisurePro not being helpful, but I don't believe they sell bp's and wings anyway. Hopefully you have another dive shop near you that sells Deep Sea Supply, UTD or Halcyon.

BTW, regarding fins, if you're in a wetsuit with a single tank, you don't need heavy fins, and you just might like lighter fins with a similar shape to the jetfins with a deeper, more stable foot pocket. I got rid of my jetfins years ago and switched to the UTD Precision Neutral. They're awesome!

+1 on the HP steel 80, since they're short and I can sit with them properly, as I can sit well with an AL 63 as well, but less volume and the AL 63's won't fit into your future tech diving.

I'm 5'2" and don't have an issue with a standard length backplate. But, as others have mentioned, they have short backplates. See if you can get your hands on both, and pick whichever fits better. For single tank diving, I use a 30lb wing as most of my diving is cold water. I don't do enough warm water diving to justify the cost of a small tropical wing. My twinset wing is a 40lb wing, and it's plenty of lift for a twinset and 2 stages in cold water. Get a one piece harness, don't bother with any of the comfort, elite, whatever they are called harnesses. That way, you can adjust it to fit you, and have the drings in the right place. A OPH is comfortable (I have been in the pool many times with nothing but a rashguard between myself and the harness).

Back
Top Bottom