Tech Diving the Oriskany

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sidneydiver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I have done rec dives on the Oriskany but I want to plan a tech dive and I was hoping for any information about what is below the flight deck and at what depths. Also can anyone recommend good charters for tech diving? Thanks!

As far as I know according to everything I have seen and heard from various places,there is nothing of interest below decks.Anyplace that might have been interesting was sealed or stripped prior to her sinking.I am fairly certain places like the boiler and engine room are sealed to divers.You could probably count on a depth to 230 feet to the sand.

A quick google search showed several charters that run tech trips to the Oriskany.

sidneydiver:
I have done rec dives on the Oriskany but I want to plan a tech dive and I was hoping for any information about what is below the flight deck and at what depths. Also can anyone recommend good charters for tech diving? Thanks!

I'm interested in checking out Hangar myself on my upcoming trip in April. I'll find out the operator taking us as we'll all be tech divers. (Trip arranged through LDS) I've visited the Intrepid on Hudson River in NYC and was in awe of the size of Hangar. I can imagine what must be like underwater. The hangar is at 150', 20' below the deck.

I would just like to explore no more then 10 min (not going beyond the point of ambiant light.) and then spend the rest of dive above deck and checking out tower.

Definately interested in what others have seen below deck.

reefseal:
I'm interested in checking out Hangar myself on my upcoming trip in April. I'll find out the operator taking us as we'll all be tech divers. (Trip arranged through LDS) I've visited the Intrepid on Hudson River in NYC and was in awe of the size of Hangar. I can imagine what must be like underwater. The hangar is at 150', 20' below the deck.

I would just like to explore no more then 10 min (not going beyond the point of ambiant light.) and then spend the rest of dive above deck and checking out tower.

Definately interested in what others have seen below deck.

I have to check with someone,he gave me the sites to check out,but you can go to this link and it has some basic details of the bridge and the areas around it.
http://www.uss-hornet.org/explore_ship/index.html
This is to the USS Hornet in SD.She is a close sister to the Oriskaney.This site has a few diagrams of the bridge and also decks.

Nothing is sealed off below decks. There are literally thousands of compartments and miles of corridors. Just about everything has been stripped though. So before even considering doing any kind of technical dive or penetration, you should definitely make sure you have the requisite training and experience. Don't become a statistic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom